Finding a PCP

agirlnamedfrankie
on 7/8/14 1:02 am
with

Hey all - after over a year of stalking the forums, I'm finally going to be making my deposit for surgery today. One step I have yet to complete is finding a PCP for aftercare. I've never had one, I've only used things like MinuteClinic when necessary. I know that there are sometimes problems finding someone who will work with a patient who had surgery in Mexico so I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to go about finding someone who will. Should I just go down the list of providers on my insurance list and tell the scheduler right away that I've had surgery and ask if the doctor will work with me?

And I'm assuming that I'll have to transfer records from the surgery to the new PCP and that's how they'll know I was out of the country? I can't just say I had surgery out of state and leave it at that?

Sammy D.
on 7/9/14 2:22 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I have the exact same concerns. Post Op care is certainly just as important as pre op care and the procedure itself.

hollykim
on 7/9/14 7:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

since you don't have an ongoing history with a Pcp ( big mistKe) it is going to be difficult to find one to follow you after surgery in MX. That is because they have no background for your normals so they wouldn't hqve a baseline to strt with.

i suggest you find a Pcp right now,make an appointment for a physical and discuss your plans with them and ask will they follow you.

you won't hetNy answere by calling Nd asking the office staff. 

Gl

agirlnamedfrankie
on 7/9/14 8:26 am
with

I have had bloodwork done recently as I followed my insurance plan's six month counseling/testing/etc., will that be helpful? Aside from running labs, I don't even know what else they look for in aftercare checkups. I grew up in a family that didn't use doctors so I'm a bit behind in learning about general care. :)

I did see a general practitioner a few times about 5 years ago. I didn't care for the experience/practice terribly (a lot of waiting followed by a lot of rushing me out the door) but do you think it would be better to go back there as they'd have some record of me? I want to say I had a physical there but can't honestly remember.

hollykim
on 7/10/14 12:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it would be alace to start at least and hope they will agree to follow you after. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views