Husband refuses to support my decision.

mrshawk92
on 6/2/14 12:29 am

I told the Hubby about going to Mx for surgery and he told me he flat out refuses to support anything to do with it and if I get stuck down there I am on my own. If I even try to talk to him about how it is safe he just walks out of the room. I guess I just need to vent.... Anybody else go through this? 

hollykim
on 6/2/14 7:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I haven't had this problem,but if I did I would for sure carry on by myself and get the surgery done when and where I could afford it. I,personally,don't need a man,husband or not,to let me do anything,especially about. My health.

many ppl have gone to MX alone for heir surgeries and done just fine. You need to be very prepared and know exactly what you are doing. Having surgery in MX is not for everyone,so be sure. You are prepared for any eventuality,as much as one can be.

When I returned from MX after having y surgery,my husband would be dead meat to me ,just saying.

gl

CdngirlinNC
on 6/2/14 8:01 am

Sorry you're being faced with his objections along with the many decisions around having WLS and having WLS outside of your own community.  People show fear in many ways - could it be that he is afraid for you?  After having done the research you know that Mexico is one of the leading destinations GLOBALLY for WLS.  My husband and I went to India when he needed a hip replacement because that was the best place for him to be. Mexico is the best place for you to get quality care (choose your surgeon wisely).  

Perhaps it would make you both feel better if you had a friend or relative join you on this journey.  My husband is coming with me but if he was unable our daughter volunteered.  It's comforting to know I'll someone at my side to look out for me.  But that's just me.  Many people do this trip solo so if that is what you need to do I would choose a very reputable medical team to work with, cross all my t's and dot all my i's and move forward toward better health.  

VSG 07/07/14

AZDee
on 6/9/14 1:17 am - Gilbert, AZ

I had these issues with my whole family, including my adult children.  Not only 11 years ago when I first went down for my RNY surgery but every time, I go for plastic surgery.  I find with knowledge comes power so I put together a package to show them all just where I would be pictures of the hospital, the aftercare location, everything I could come up with to help ease their minds, it helped. Are you in a location, where the two of you could make a trip down first to check out the location?  I was fortunate that I only live 5 hours away so a trip is not that unreasonable if it helps in making a informed decision...I say all the time it's the doctor first over the location, just make sure you have picked the very best doctor you can possibly find, the center you will only be spending a week or so, the outcome from the surgery a lifetime.... 

deartiara
on 6/13/14 6:18 am - Seattle

Sorry to hear about your "lack of support" regarding Mexico. When I finally found the Mexico option, I had been researching for a very long time. With most of my interest leaning towards going to have RNY in India. Once I realized that A Lighter Me and Dr. Elias Ortiz and such a good reputation I contacted as many people as would return my emails/private messages/phone calls to obtain their personal experience. Once I made my decision, I booked the date. Then I told my husband. He was not able to come along, as someone would have to stay with our children. We don't have family where we live. He was concerned about me going alone, because of the nature of the trip (being surgery), not the location. We are originally from San Diego and have traveled to Tijuana for many medical procedures, especially dental. Every time we are down there, we are always greeted by people from all over the world having procedures performed as well. While I was having my bypass on March 18, 2014 many of the ladies had traveled alone and as far as Canada, and London to have surgery at the same location. I had about 3 weeks to prepare. I was determined to have the surgery done, asap. I didn't want anything to come up. I booked the flight and began packing my belongings. I packed WAY too much. I was just so excited. I had everything in my suitcase. Down to the nail polish to match each outfit. I was on the road to get my life back, and NO ONE was going to stop me! I went had surgery, and my life has been on the road to better health ever since. I am off all my medication, except one. Which is a blood thinner that I will have to stay on for the rest of my life. ALL medication gone. My feet don't hurt. My back doesn't hurt! I am loving it! I am at the gym walking on a treadmill for the first time since I was 17. My body is doing things it forget it knew how to do. I can sit in a chair and paint my own toes, loving it! Cross my legs! Sit comfortably in theatre seating! The list goes on and on. SORRY FOR THE RAMBLE! 

D66
on 7/12/14 9:34 am

Love your post

RellaBelle
on 7/4/14 6:04 am - Houston, TX
with

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing this. While I'm not going through the same thing, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is to have someone so close to you not be in your corner about this. I'd like to think that maybe that's just his way of expressing his concern? Maybe he's more concerned about losing you if something should go wrong? My husband is behind me on but did not hesitate to tell me how concerned he was about the procedure itself and Mexico in general. I have 2 friends who have gone through Mexico, he's met both of them before I even mentioned wanting to have this done. I think most of my husband's concern is because our friend here in TX that had the procedure dumps constantly so he thought that was the norm. I had to explain to him that it wasnt and that she just wasn't doing things as she should be. I have VERY few people that I will be telling about this.. and only 1 of them is on my side of the family.

Has he said exactly WHY he's not supportive? That's very bullheaded of him [not to offend you] to not even sit and speak with you about and to hear you out.

ladyasha
on 8/20/14 6:07 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 10/29/03 with

MrsHawk92,  I can relate.  Right now I am in dire need of a revision.  The cost up here would be 17k we don't have or I can pay 9k, which I have managed to get together, to go through BeLiteWeight or one of the other companies.  My husband has read all the scary stories online about he surgeries, then the scary news reports and state.gov reports about the cities in Mexico that actually offer the surgeries.  He can't see past it and is not supportive right now.  I am going to have to make a decision soon, but I'm praying he comes around and has my back soon.  I hope your situation improves as well...

I think it would be better if I could find some way to show him it's safe and I won't be abducted for human trafficking.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views