Revision in Mexico?

mschimpf
on 4/22/14 8:53 am

Has anyone had a revision done in Mexico? I had a lapband in the states in 2008 as a cash pay and am strongly considering a revision to a sleeve but can't afford the surgery here in the US and my insurance doesn't cover it. I know it is a more risky surgery to have a revision opposed to just the original surgery and want to get some feedback! Thanks!

archrace
on 4/24/14 12:36 am - Canada

I had a revision in Mexico.  I had a stomach stapling procedure done in 1986.  Lost 120 lbs. kept it off for 15 years.  I went to a surgeon here on Canada about 10 years ago and he refused to do a revision on me.  He said it couldn't be done laproscopically.  He also told me that it would be very risky.  About 2 years ago I had to have my gall bladder out and they were able to do that laproscopically.  I started researching a revision to sleeve shortly after that.  I finally went thru Alighterme with Dr. Elias Ortiz.  I had my revision March 24th.  It was a very long procedure and required an additional surgeon but Dr. Ortiz was able to do the entire thing.  I was quite frightened and they even allowed my husband to be in the Operating room to watch the entire procedure (4.5 hours).  Dr. Ortiz has done over 300 revieions in the past 18 months.  The entire experience was great.  I paid $6,000 because there are extra costs with a revision and I had a Hiatal Hernia that was also repaired in the surgery.  Between the pre-op diet and the surgery I am down 35 pounds in just over 6 weeks.  I feel great.

Talk to Janeese at alighterme.com  

MaryKline08
on 4/24/14 2:09 am

My friend Denisse had a revision done in Mexico, in Tijuana to be more specific. She did great, her surgeon was Dr. Kelly actually I was referred to him, but mine was VGS. So yes I think is more risky, but you have to choose wisely. 

tdbull
on 4/26/14 2:37 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had both lap bands and now my revision to RNY done in TJ with Dr. Corvala. Went very well, I have lost all of my regained weight and an additional 20lbs, have no more reflux, and can travel without the band getting so tight on me that I needed emergency unfills. I tolerate everything, and don't throw up or get foamies, or feel stuck in my throat. The best decision I ever made. I go to TJ a lot, obviously for my WLS, but also I have done lipo and botox there as well. I am considering a little cosmetic surgery and may get quotes from TJ docs when I am ready.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

terrapin16
on 4/28/14 12:06 pm - CO

Exactly what I was coming here for.

I had VSG in MX with Dr. Kelly Jan 2012.  I've gained the weight back.  Very depressed.  Like, my mind is CONSUMED with my weight and I don't know what to do.

Talked to my primary to see if she would recommend me for WLS in the US.  She said yes, but that the whole process could take up to a year.  I haven't been back home to see my family in a year and a half (they're on the east coast/I'm in Colorado) bc I'm embarrassed of how I look.  I am very seriously thinking about going back to MX but don't know which surgery would be the best for me.

Also, is it possible to fly into Mexico?  Crossing the border coming back was a freaking nightmare.  I think we were in line for at least 4 hours.  Someone mentioned a special medical line...but there was no such thing when we were there.  The border patrol asked my mom 'does she need a wheelchair?'  She said no.  And he sent her back into the line.  LOL.  Laughing now but it sucked.

So, anyway.  Any advice for me would appreciated in this thread too.

tdbull
on 4/28/14 2:24 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had both bands and my revision with the same surgeon (listed on my intro header). I fly into San Diego and the hospital driver picks me up at the airport and takes me across the border to either the hospital for pre op or the hotel. The driver goes thru a medical line and we are in TJ in under 30 minutes. I've never had any problem - just bring your passport to get back into US. When I come back, the same driver picks me up at hotel and takes me back to airport, again thru medical line.
My brother had Sleeve here in US - his ins paid but it took him 18 months. From the time my surgeon and I decided to go for the revision, it took 2 months, and that was mostly me trying to get the time off work. Easy peasy and well worth paying out of pocket. I do have Kaiser ins and my PCP got me into their bariatric program so now I have support, talk with a NUT every 6 months, and have my labs done. If you don't have a surgeon in mind, you may want to contact mine. You can private message me for detailed info.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

gt17
on 5/23/14 9:34 am - houston, TX

Hello, I am glad you have a had great experiences. I have been reading your post over and over, and now am considering a revision in Mexico. I am a little curious about your trip.  I would like more information on the setting up the initial point of contact with the doctor. How and when did you receive the quote ? Was the quote given after you called the doctors office ? Did the doctor office set up all the travel ? How many days did you stay in Mexico?  Can you please send me the information on the doctor, like the website and contact information? I would like any information so I can get started with my possible revision.

Thank,

Jody

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views