Considering MX for surgery. Advice?!?!

TiredofbeingOW
on 4/20/14 2:03 am - Morris, Canada

I am researching going to MX and finding it all very confusing and overwhelming.  There are so many physician choices and coordinators etc I feel like I don't know where to start.   I was also told because I have GERD and reflux that the sleeve is not a good choice for me.  Thoughts on this?   I am ok w getting RNY it just seems most ppl get The sleeve. And the sleeve is cheaper.  Helppppp

Dilly69
on 4/20/14 2:20 am - Canada

I am confused too!! I am ready to book but keep getting different information from different coordinators about which doctors offer which prices etc. 

i don't know what I am going to choose!! I just want things to go smoothly and have a really good doctor.

llLou
on 4/20/14 7:08 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I had my VSG with Dr. Kelly  in Tijuana. I went directly through his office.No need for a coordinator. He has his own at his office. I had an excellent experience. He is an great surgeon. Message me with any questions. Linda

Mary C.
on 4/21/14 1:04 am - Glovertown, Canada

My husband had a VSG with Dr. Joya last May. Has done extremely well. I had RNY 5 yrs ago with Dr. Beausoleil in New Brunswick - so hubby went into it with eyes wide open. We went with Joya - because we know other people who had gone to him and although he is a few thousand more than others - felt most comfortable with him. We also wanted avoid the border scenario - we flew into Peurto Vallarta from Newark - overnighted there on our way down and way back. His website http://drjoya.com/ is very comprehensive and loaded with information. I am an ER nurse - and made sure every i was dotted and t crossed before we went down. All our correspondence was via e-mail with his co-ordinator Gerald, although we could have called also. Any questions we had or info we needed - Gerald always got back to us that same day - sometimes in a few hours. The hospital - unlike any I have seen here at home. The hospital room itself was a suite with a fridge - 2 TV's, leather couches - etc - I stayed there with hubby the time he was there. I was kept updated by phone from the time he went to the OR - to when he was in recovery - to when he would be expected back in his room. Professional, smooth and trouble free. The Hotel was amazing - we went down an extra day early to enjoy the place - it was awesome. I felt safe all the time - even when I left the Hotel grounds to walk down to the corner drug store. (day time of course) We met with a few more Canadians who were down at the same time for surgery - one of the ladies was from Saskatoon and had an RNY - we keep in touch - she has done awesome. I can't say enough positive about the whole experience. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I am all there to pay it forward! Good luck!

Mary

Mac333
on 4/21/14 6:18 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Hey! Flying out Wednesday for my surgery with Dr. Alvarez. His coordinator Susan is very helpful. His website is Endobariatric .com.

My process so far has been very smooth. Good luck!

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

deartiara
on 4/22/14 2:24 pm - Seattle

Had RNY surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz due to PCP suggesting RNY because of my health issues. I have diabetes, PCOS, GERD, fatty liver, and a few others. They said with the reflux and diabetes, RNY was the best solution. Had surgery on March 18, 2014, so far it has been exactly what they said. I am off of my diabetes pills, insulin, and Nexium for Gerd. The only meds I am taking right now are my vitamins. I LOVE it! I was a bit nervous about getting the RNY in Mexico as most of the patients have the Sleeve performed. I went with the advice of the PCP and the doctors and the many seminars I attended in the states prior to making a decision. I chose to go with the company A Lighter Me which operates out of Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana, Mexico because I was able to befriend Dr. Elias Ortiz on facebook and speak to him personally on a regular basis prior to committing. By the time I arrived in Mexico, the entire staff was like family. From the driver to the doctor, I was safe and secure. Also, A Lighter Me has a facebook page where you can communicate with other/previous patients and I love that the relationships they formed are still very positive. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/14 9:06 am
with

I'll be going to Dr. Alvarez in July and have also found his offices very helpful. I did a lot of research about surgery in MX and I was convinced he was the best choice.

ashlee00
on 5/12/14 6:10 am - Fort Lee, VA
with

Please keep us updated. I am scheduled with him in Dec 2014. And good luck. Ill send warm thoughts your way!!

MaryKline08
on 4/23/14 7:46 am

Hello! I had mine with Dr. Ramos-Kelly, great experience!

tdbull
on 4/26/14 2:43 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had both lap bands and my band removal, revision to RNY done in TJ with Dr. Corvala. He is the best, in my book. Very responsive, great bedside manner, came to see me every day, and kept in touch with my after I came home. When we discussed that my band needed to come out, I suggested the Sleeve, but Doc said this wasn't going to reduce/eliminate my reflux. Since my revision, I have had no reflux, and lost more than I planned in weight loss, and I feel terrific. I trust this surgeon with making the best decisions relative to what I needed, and he didn't disappoint. Best of luck.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views