Dr. Ponce de leon

kel71
on 3/24/14 4:27 am, edited 3/24/14 4:28 am

I'm going to schedule surgery this week. Im very nervous & have read mixed reviews. I have read very few experiences on here with dr ponce, so anyone who can tell me about their experience, I would really appreciate it. Ive also seen he works with int hospital, mi doctor, hospital Jerusalem.  Which one is it?  Thanks

Erica2666___
on 3/25/14 12:58 am - medford, NY

When i was doing my research i was informed he works with a few hospitals. My surgery is scheduled this thursday. Will keep you posted if you'd like. Also i found nothing but good reviews on him. 

rainyone
on 3/25/14 10:36 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

I was almost 2 years ago. you can read my blog on here - look on my profile

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

kel71
on 3/25/14 11:29 am

Thank you! I read your blog it was very helpful. I've heard great things about him, but now a few people have told me not to use him because he is working out of hospital Jerusalem,

And I am soooo confused, ive read a few things about hospital Jerusalem about it being located what looks like a strip mall ....that really doesn't bother me if the doctor is good. Anyway, thanks again

Erica2666___
on 3/26/14 6:39 am - medford, NY

I have surgery tomorrow at the int hospital

pineview01
on 3/26/14 2:50 pm - Davison, MI

Ask him which hospital he is using.  I know when I was researching a 1 1/2 -2 years ago there was something going on with which hospital, I think it is because he can work out of more than one, like many doctors here in the states do.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

celiadavis9461
on 3/26/14 5:06 pm

I booked Dr. Ponce recently with BariatricPal Deals. I'm scheduled for May 8th at hospital jerusalem. They're moving the hospital to a new location April 1st and it's supposed to be a big upgrade. I care about the hospital and location but I was most concerned with the surgeon. From what I've read and researched, Dr. Ponce is one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons in mexico. Most of the popular mexico surgeons only do the sleeve surgery because that's all they are really good at. I'd love to hear and read about other recent dr. Ponce patient experiences from members on here.

Spencerella
on 3/29/14 10:32 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Many Mexico surgeons work in multiple hospitals.  My surgery was at INT with Dr. Ponce.  He is a highly skilled surgeon and has an experienced team.  I received excellent care there as well.  The only downside is Dr Ponce does not speak English.  However his surgical assistant (Dr Frayre) is fluent in English and handles all your face to face care in consultation with Dr Ponce.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

alritie2
on 3/31/14 1:31 pm

I am curious, why the drain? My friend had hers done last year by Dr. Ramos-kelly, he didnt use the drain but she said there were other patients there with one in. Im most likely going to choose between Dr. Ramos-Kelly or Dr. Ponce. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Spencerella
on 3/31/14 1:41 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

It's much more common to have a drain than not to. It's there so that the surgeon can more easily detect excessive or deep bleeding.  It doesn't hurt and it isn't painful to have it removed. 

Regarding choosing between the two surgeons, despite Dr Ponce likely being slightly more expensive, I would choose Dr Ponce every time. He isn't as well known here, but many Mexican bariatric surgeons see Dr  Ponce as one the most skilled in the country.

I've been around here for awhile and I would agree. He makes a very straight, tight sleeve which is what you will be left with for the rest of your life. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views