Dr. Almanza Tijuana, Mx

sagittarius08
on 3/16/14 12:34 pm

I'm schedule for surgery on June 17, 2014. Any one had surgery with him? how was your experience? 

zmdh39
on 3/31/14 12:20 pm

I was originally booked to have surgery with him in 2012, after doing some research I decided to switch doctors, and ended up going to the Santa Fe Medical Group. My surgeon was Dr. Sergio Quinones. For me it was a personal decision to make the switch. When researching I read lots of reviews from people that were happy with their decision to go to Dr. Almanza, and some that were not. My biggest reasons for switching were based on the volume of patients that Dr. Almanza was willing to perform surgery on in a single day, to me I was not comfortable with that aspect. I also read a number of posts from people that were treated rather rudely from his business partner Dr. Bentencourt. Dr. Bentencourt actually passed away a few months ago, and Dr. A went to work for another place, so I am sure there has been some staff changes since then. My only personal experiences/complaints with his practice, is that his coordinators at the time seemed more interested in making a sell than answering my questions...they constantly interrupted me when I talked to them on the phone and seemed frustrated with my questions. The other thing that still to this day bothers me, is that I had my surgery in 2012, now it is 2014 and they are still constantly calling me and texting my cell phone trying to get me to book surgery with them...despite the fact that I have called, emailed, and text numerous times asking to be taken off the call and mobile messaging list. I have explained countless times that I have already had the surgery with another doctor. To Dr. Almanza's credit, I do have to say that they were really great about refunding my deposit I had sent to them when I switch doctors, I didn't receive and kind of grief from their office, and the money was back in my account within the next 2 days or so. Looking back, I am happy I made the decision that I did, again I know people who went with Dr. A and were very happy, but for me my experience with Dr. Quinones was nothing short of Amazing. My biggest factor in choosing him was his experience, he is a proctor certified, which means he teaches these procedures to other surgeons in the medical college, he even taught Dr. Almanza to perform the surgeries. He also had a number of certificates for extensive training, and has been the a guest speaker at a number of conferences here in the US for bariatrics. I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I am an open book about my surgery and tips for life after being sleeved.

CdngirlinNC
on 5/15/14 11:10 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your post about your experience with surgeons in Mexico.  I am in the process of choosing a surgeon for a Lap RNY and originally chose India - and may still choose India - however I feel compelled to thoroughly investigate the options in Mexico as I believe there may be an option there for me thus saving me the long and arduous trip to India.  The challenge is that I need Lap RNY and most of the posts for Mexico are for VGS.  What type of surgery did you have?

zmdh39
on 5/16/14 2:06 am
On May 16, 2014 at 6:10 AM Pacific Time, CdngirlinNC wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your post about your experience with surgeons in Mexico.  I am in the process of choosing a surgeon for a Lap RNY and originally chose India - and may still choose India - however I feel compelled to thoroughly investigate the options in Mexico as I believe there may be an option there for me thus saving me the long and arduous trip to India.  The challenge is that I need Lap RNY and most of the posts for Mexico are for VGS.  What type of surgery did you have?

Dr. Quinones might do Rnys, I am not sure to be honest, but it is possible. In any case, there are some good surgeons in Mexico. I had the gastric sleeve, but I do know that there are doctors in Mexico that do RNYs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views