Help deciding about surgery

JaneyB
on 3/16/14 12:17 pm

Hi all. I have been perusing the board and am overwhelmed with all the information available from you helpful people.

I have toyed with the idea of surgery but I am pretty sure I want to now because of the positive things I've read about the sleeve. I have an appt. with my doctor this week to discuss it with her. I am pretty sure I won't be able to get my insurance to pay for it because I don't have any obesity related health conditions. And from what I can tell, my insurance only covers banding or the bypass.

So I am thinking of getting the procedure in Mexico.

How long from when you decided were you able to schedule it? I know in the US you typically have to go through a waiting period, six months to a year, if I am understanding correctly. I don't want to have it right away because I don't want it to be a rash decision but I also don't want to wait forever.

Thanks.

Harleygirl1
on 3/16/14 1:35 pm

Hi, I'm scheduled for surgery in Mexico with Dr. Alvarez this Thursday. You don't have a long drawn out waiting period if going to Mexico. With my surgeon I just contacted them & sent in a deposit. Mine was scheduled within 3 weeks of my phone call. Good luck with your decision. I'm still trying to decide if I really want to do this. 

rziller
on 3/16/14 1:55 pm
VSG on 03/08/14

My process also only took a few weeks. I contacted them in late January and they asked when I wanted to come. I told them anytime the week of March 8th so I could do it over Spring break (I work for a school.) I was surprised they said they could actually do it on the 8th and figured that would give me the most recovery time, so I'm one week and 1 day post-op and going back to work tomorrow. 

Im down about 15 lbs since March 1, when I started the pre-op diet. I haven't hurt or felt bad since surgery (except for a few hours tonight after I ate too much and too fast) but have been blessed to have a very easy recovery so far. 

Good luck in making your decision. I wrote a lengthy review of my surgeon, Dr. Kelly, if you're interested. I couldn't make a higher recommendation. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. 

46 year old female- 5' 6"- Highest weight (11/2013):245; Surgery weight(3/8/2014): 231 Current Weight (5/14/14): 199.4 (PreOp: -5; M1: -18; M2: -8)

JaneyB
on 3/16/14 4:43 pm, edited 3/16/14 4:43 pm

Thanks for your replies! Alvarez and Kelly are two names that keep popping up as good surgeons. As well as Dr Ponce de Leon who I have been looking into. How did you ultimately make the decision for the surgeon you chose?

So you are feeling better less that 2 weeks out? That is good. I have some vacation time I would like to use. I could use sick leave but don't want any questions asked. Or maybe one week sick and then one week vacation, I could say I'm having a procedure and then want to take some time off after.

How much $$ were your surgeries. Of course, I'd like to pay as little as possible but I also want the best surgeon possible.

JaneyB
on 3/16/14 4:45 pm

Oh, and was it overwhelming to you? I feel like I'm flooded with information and the more I learn, the more overwhelmed I get. Lol

rziller
on 3/19/14 1:44 am
VSG on 03/08/14

Sorry, I'm just seeing these questions. I didn't consider other surgeons besides Dr. Kelly because I know someone personally (actually 2, because her mom used him too) who was happy they used him and that carried more weight than people's opinion who I didn't know. I'm feeling great and started back to work 1 week and 2 days post-op without any problems. Of course, I'm still learning what I can and can't do. I'm not following the traditional post-op diet to the letter, but I'm not doing anything radical either. Clear liquids were (are) harder than full liquids for some reason, so I went on cream soups and protein shakes pretty much right away. I was only on them for a few days before progressing to soft/mushy food and if I tried something that didn't work, I just didn't go back to it for a day or two. Basically, I try and take a little step forward every day and if it doesn't work, go back to what I know works. My weight loss so far is good and I feel great. I'm back on my vitamins (even the big horse pills!) and I think they help as well. My surgery was a little over $5000, but my costs may have been affected by the fact my niece and I went together and shared hospital/hotel rooms. We spend two nights in the hospital and one night in the hotel.

Yes, this can be very overwhelming b/c there is just so much variance with individual people and different surgeons. Plus, going to Mexico adds a whole other dimension to look at. Bottom line is you have to trust your surgeon and the hospital to do their jobs well and keep you healthy. Of course there are horror stories about people getting surgery in Mexico, but I work in healthcare here and there are horror stories here too. My surgeon, Dr. Kelly, is FACS certified, ASBMS certified, did his residency and fellowship in the United States, and has a good track record with people I know. All of those things were important to me; more important than his fee--although that was important too.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions. Like last time, it doesn't always give me a notification if someone responds to this.

Good luck!

46 year old female- 5' 6"- Highest weight (11/2013):245; Surgery weight(3/8/2014): 231 Current Weight (5/14/14): 199.4 (PreOp: -5; M1: -18; M2: -8)

JaneyB
on 3/24/14 8:25 am

Wow, congrats. It sounds like you are healing well. Thanks for your input!

HoosierGirl1
on 3/25/14 10:14 am
VSG on 02/04/13
Good for you for reaching out to others who have had surgery in Mexico too...I was there last February. Here were my considerations when selecting a surgeon in Mexico:
1. A surgeon who has performed a lot of weight loss surgery.

2. Member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery (i.e. need to be able to verify their credentials)

3. The doc should have a lot of positive internet "buzz", or testimonials on weight loss surgery forums so I could contact those and get some independent feedback.

4. Would like to go to a part of Mexico WITH NO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS from the U.S. State Department

5. The icing on the cake would be if they were at an International Center of Excellence as designated by the Surgical Review Corporation - same body that designates US bariatric Centers of Excellence

6. Oh, and I wanted to contact the surgeon DIRECTLY, not through a surgery coordinating company

I actually blogged about the whole before/during/after if you are interested (kind of like free therapy!). You are welcome to check it out....www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

Good luck and keep doing research...feel 100% sold on your choice and know what is going to happen while you are there. Will help with some of the nerves.

www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com 

alritie2
on 3/31/14 1:44 pm

Hoosiergirl1, thank you so much for your website. It provides so much information. Just wanted to say thanks.

zmdh39
on 4/9/14 1:40 am

I researched for over a year before deciding to go to MX. With my Dr, I talked with his staff for about 2 months before booking, they were fabulous, and very patient. They require 2 weeks ahead of time because you have to do a pre-op diet. With the Santa Fe Medical Group, I had to pay a $500 deposit to schedule my surgery date, but if something came up and I had to change dates, I could switch it as many times as I needed without having to pay anything, or lose my deposit...I think I had to switch the date about 3 times due to work. I did tons of research on doctors down there, and had originally booked with doctor Almanza, but after further research I changed to SFMG, their surgeon was Dr. Sergio Quinones, he just had better credentials. My experience with surgery in Mexico was stellar, it was some of the best care I have ever received, and I have had several surgeries through out my life here in the US. The best thing to do is research as much as possibly and compile a list of potential surgeons, talk to their coordinators, and read as many reviews as you can get your hands on from their patients, both recent and ones that had surgery years ago. Check to see of those surgeons have any type of post op support program as well. SFMG has a lady that works with all if their post op patients, she also had surgery with the practice herself, and has been a huge help for me post op. I wish you the best on your decision, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I am an open book about my surgery, and the people on this forums are so helpful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views