Dr. Almanza vs. Dr. Ortiz - Gastric Sleeve in Mexico

JennJennE5
on 11/15/13 1:20 am, edited 11/18/13 2:11 am - Spruce Grove, Canada

Hello,

I have looked through many of the posts on this site in regards to the Gastric Sleeve surgery in Mexico and I really appreciate all of the input and advice that everyone is sharing. I have booked my surgery for December 16th and had done so confidently. I have told two of my best friends about my plans (one of which has had the surgery herself), and I expected them to be excited and supportive; however, they have caused me to doubt my decision and I am hoping to get feedback from you.

My Surgery is booked with Dr. Almanza in the Jerusalem Hospital. I have researched as much information as possible and have come up with many fantastic reviews, but there have been a few bad reviews. I have also considered Dr. Ortiz with the Obesity Control Center, the surgery he offers is the same just a bit more expensive. Again lots of fantastic reviews, the only bad review I have seen so far seemed to be a personality conflict and not a safety concern.

My main concern is safety of course. That being said, has anyone heard of surgeons using non standard staples (that could potentially lead to infection?). I have been told that the staples alone in the surgery would cost the surgeon $4000, so the person that explained this did not understand how the surgery could be done so inexpensively.

I would appreciate any feed back you could give me in regards to these two surgeons.

Thank you :)

Jenn

mkvand
on 11/15/13 3:50 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

The staples are no where near 4K.  I'm having surgery with Dr. Alvarez in January, and he has a video on his youtube channel showing how the staple gun works.  They are tiny titanium staples.  There is additional cost for the gun, since it's disposable, but 4K is ridiculous.  That's probably the cost in the US, with American mark-up.

hollykim
on 11/16/13 12:06 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I agree with your other reply. The cost of things in  health care in the US are totally and ridiculously inflated thanks to our friendly insurance companies. 

The difference in cost can't even be compared between the US and Mexico and other countries. Apparently the person with whom you were speaking doesn't have a clue about medical tourism and I wouldn't rely on a single thing they said ,if I were you.

i have been toMX for two surgeries and dental implants and will be going for plastic surgery in January. All of my experiences have been good. I had better care in the hospital there than I ever had In a Hospital in The. States. If the cleaning lady cleaned the hall outside my room once,she cleaned it a million times. It was spotless. The OR looked like every OR I have ever been,they had a cash cart and everything else that was needed. 

GL

Dbrh2727
on 12/5/13 12:21 am

Who did your surgery???

hollykim
on 12/5/13 12:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

dr Almanza dd my sleeve and Dr. ponce deLeon did my switch.

Dbrh2727
on 12/5/13 1:05 am

Switch? What does that mean? I'm at a loss to whom I should Choose! Can you write me in private?   [email protected]

hollykim
on 12/5/13 2:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Check your messages onOH. I replied to you by. Private message.

Dbrh2727
on 12/5/13 3:46 am

How do I get to my private messages?

hollykim
on 12/5/13 6:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

look at the top of this page and. Every page at the blue header. All the way to the far right should have your member name. Click on the name and a box will drop down then click. On messages and it will take you there. 

You can also get them from your. Profile page.

sassy0108
on 3/9/14 11:48 am

Hi GL,

I am interested in getting bariatric surgery in Mexico.  I would like an opportunity to discuss your experiences.  Would you be willing to talk with me?  Please private message me.

Thank you.

SA

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views