Help! =)

rc81
on 10/15/13 10:19 am

So I thought deciding to have surgery was a struggle but I'm now realizing that was the easy part. I'm not sure which surgery I want to have. I'm torn between the Sleeve and the DS. Any insight and personal opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated. The next issue is which surgeon. I will be going to Mexico as my insurance doesn't cover any type of surgery. I've been pouring over information but my eyes are starting to pop out. Also where do you find a surgeons complication rate? Thanks in advance!

mkvand
on 10/15/13 7:34 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm planning on having surgery with Dr. Alvarez, and he posts his complication rate on his website. I decided on which surgery I wanted first, then looked for surgeons who performed the surgery I wanted and had good reviews. You can use the search feature to find people's posts about their surgeons.  Also check the VSG and DS message boards. 

DS has the best long term weight loss and resolution of comorbidities, but also has the highest rate of complications and the most required vitamins and blood tests.  VSG has the lowest complication rate, but you lose less weight on average.  Some questions to ask yourself are how much weight do you have to lose, how good are you about taking pills (many more vitamins required with DS), will your insurance cover frequent blood tests (required for DS), and what kind of eater are you (DS has more eating leeway than VSG). 

For me, since I'm going out of the country, I wanted a surgery with lower maintenance and complications.  It's not like I'll be able to make appointments to go back any time I have a question, and I live in a rural area, so there are no bariatric surgeons to go to in an emergency.

Mary C.
on 10/16/13 8:24 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi - the previous poster gave you exactly the advice I would. The only thing I would add - is - keep in mind your reasons for having weight loss surgery. Are you a diabetic, do you have other existing weight related health problems, things like that - and determine how much weight you need to lose in order to resolve those problems. That should help you make your decision. Good luck!

this_isforme
on 10/16/13 1:44 pm
with

I sure didn't know that Dr Alvarez posts his complication rate on his website.  Thanks!  :)  I most likely will be with Dr. Alvarez, but I will be having surgery in the summer.  I can't wait.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views