Need Packing List For Mexico, Please

passel
on 9/20/13 8:24 am

Hi All,

It's just over a month until my VSG surgery in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Joya. Getting excited!

Somewhere on ObesityHelp there is a great list of important things to bring with you to Mexico. Things like Gas-X strips, etc. Can anyone point me to it, or make any recommendations on what turned out to be the most helpful items?

Many thanks,

IdahoGirl32
on 9/20/13 4:02 pm

I'm headed to TJ for surgery in a couple of months, so I've been thinking about this too. 

Here are the things I've go on my list so far (other than the obvious, normal trip stuff): 

Gas-x 
Pillow to hold against my tummy
chap stick 
very comfy clothes (but still presentable for possible shopping excursions!)
compression socks for plane ride (maybe 2 pairs?)
chicken soup mixes to make my own at hotel
cash for tips to drivers, maids, etc.
get the international option on your cell phone so you can call home without going broke
incentive spirometer (in case they don't give you one)

I'll update if I think of any other things. :)

LaceyKitN
on 9/22/13 7:35 am - Olympia, WA

Hi Idaho Girl!

I like the list you've started!  I am going to have my surgery on October 7, 2013 for a revision surgery from a band to a sleeve with Dr. Ortiz so it's really time for me to start to checklist and make sure I have everything i need.

I have a no contract phone through Virgin Mobile and I just contacted them and they said they don't have any service in Mexico so I'll have to come up with a Plan B for that one.  I'm thinking maybe buy a cheap Track phone or something.  I don't know.  I'm not very tech saavy but my husband is..I'll ask him what he thinks.

I have a question about the Gas X strips for anybody else who has already had the surgery.  I asked Dr. Ortiz' corrdinator if the Gas X strips are necessary becuase I thought the gas they pump in you is pumped in your body cavity to make room for the instruments--not directly into your stomach and that is what the gas x strips would actually help.  She said that is correct..the only thing that will help the gas is walk, walk, walk.  But I've read so many people say the Gas X strips *do* help so I'm confused.

What do people think?

Michelle

Washington State

Mary C.
on 9/23/13 11:48 pm, edited 9/25/13 2:19 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there - this is a post I did back in June - and it is pretty relavant to your questions. Hope it helps!

We were down in May - hubby had VSG with Dr. Joya. The hotel is AMAZING. There is a mini fridge in each room. As for a kettle - I just rinsed out the coffee maker really well - and ran water through that to have broth. I did bring packets of broth, Carnation Instant Breakfast, Crystal Light etc. They place bottled water in your room everyday - and if you need more you can call the butler. But - given that you would probably tip him - I went out to the corner pharmacy and got bottled water cheap, also picked up some milk, juice and yogurt there. Right across from the pharmacy is a liquor store. Down the street within walking distance if you are well is a shopping mall and I THINK there is a cinema in there. There is a WalMart on the main drag - I didn't go - but a girl I met down there took a cab and went down. If you turn right when you leave the little street the hotel is on - there is an ATM a little way down - actually there was two - and we walked about 10-15mins to a store called MEGA. It is a large dept store - everything from deli foods to clothes. I picked up things like crackers and cheese, some nuts etc - for me to eat while staying in the hospital with hubby. I used BOTH my debit card and credit card down there with no issues.  As someone else said - a stack of US 1$ bills for tipping goes a long way. Local taxis prefer to be paid in Pesos - so that's why we hit the ATM. The taxi to the hospital, back to the hotel, and to the airport were at our expense. So make sure you have Pesos for that. I think it was 60 Pesos to get tot he hospital and 90 Pesos to get back to the airport from the hotel the day we left. There is a shopping plaza across the street from the hospital - there are 2 ATM's over there - as well as a currency exchange counter. A McDonalds is there - a few small coffee shops, a Subway - and more that I didn't explore. I went over twice - once to get some $$, and another time I picked up a McPollo  (McChicken) to eat. When someone is staying in the room with you in the hospital - there is a list on the bedside table of menu items available from the catering service and the times it's available and price. They bring it right to your room. I used the service both mornings for coffee x 2. I drove them nuts I think. I did have one meal through them - a fish fillett with rice and veggies - not sure what type of fi**** was but it was awesome. Enough for two meals for me. The nurses will bring bottled water, ice and juice. One thing I noticed was that they had no facecloths/washcloths at the hospital. So throw a few in your suitcase if you use them. I took WAAAY too much stuff to the hospital - I was encouraged to just take an overnight bag for us and they would leave the rest at the hotel locked up. But the am of surgery I wasn't up to going through and sorting through stuff - so I just took it all. We didn't take GasX - luckily Ivan had no issues with this. He was nauseated and urging the night of the surgery - but they gave him something for it and it settled right down. Hubby had no pain to speak of - but the nurses gave regular pain meds for the first day and 1/2 - without hubby asking. I guess it's their routine. The nurses were great and provided me with a pillow/blanket to make my bed up and also for towels etc when I wanted to shower. The hospital rooms are spacious and I thought I would never be able to sleep there - but I did. As I said - the hotel is amazing - even though they should be aware that you are a patient before your surgery and require broth etc - I found I had to make it clear that hubby was a patient of Dr. Joya's and required special dietary items. When I wanted something brought up via room service - I called the butler to put in the order for me - as I found if I called room service directly - there was usually a language barrier and the order got messed up. Which they promptly fixed - but I found going through the butler was easier. If you venture out on the beach - be prepared for beach vendors. They can be pretty persistent. I though it was great because I did want to get a few souveniers and stuff. But some people find it very annoying. If you stay off the beach and just lounge by the pool areas - no problem. It will be warm - but we found there was always a breeze off the water and of course ac in the room. For your care of small incisions following surgery - I took down some normal saline cleaning solution, small gauze squares and small adhesive bandaids - a bit bigger than regular bandaids. They don't give you anything like that once you are discharged from hospital. So I was mighty glad I had it. But, as I said - there is a pharmacy just outside the hotel. Being an ER nurse - who had RNY back in 2008 - I am VERY anal and picky when it comes to anything health care related. But I can honestly say the whole experience couldn't have gone any smoother. Some people have voiced concerns regarding feeling safe while in Mexico. I have travelled lots over the years - but had never been to Mexico. Prior to surgery hubby and I walked around outside the resort area on the main drag as I said. We had no concerns. While hubby was in hospital - I walked across to the plaza a few times and after surgery when we were back at the hotel - I went out to the corner a few times on my own. I didn't feel unsafe. The security at the hotel was top notch. There are risks where ever you travel - but common sense goes a long way. Oh ya - I'm a big baby when it comes to my pillow - so I did bring my pillow from home. No need to - I just did. yes If I knew how to PIN this post so it would be there at the top - I would. Glad it's been helpful to you! Cheers!

Mary

passel
on 9/24/13 3:41 am

Hi Mary, Thanks for reposting this. I remember reading this in June but then couldn't find it again. I think it should be pinned for anyone going to PV for surgery. So informative.

Cheers, Pat

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views