Why did you choose Mex?

theduckmn
on 8/21/13 9:11 am

Hi - 

I've been researching WLS and the sleeve for quite a while.  I even had a date, but canceled after the recent death at MBC and feeling like I needed more information.  

My insurance does not cover WLS, but my insurance will be changing in November and they will likely cover a large portion of the WLS - but my out-of-pocket costs will still be more or similar to the amount MX WLS would cost (including airfare, etc.). 

I'm interested to know...

If you were approved in USA, why did you choose Mexico?

If you are a health care professional, why did you choose Mexico?

What were your concerns and what were the answers that made you comfortable choosing Mexico?

I know so many of you have had terrific experiences and I enjoy reading them.  However,  I'm looking for the nitty gritty on how you found peace with your decision and the questions/steps/info that brought you to your final decision.

I greatly appreciate your feedback and hope these questions and your responses are helpful to others as well.

the duck

I am not a coordinator or superfluous poster who stands to gain from my posts.  I'm the real deal - a working wife, friend, mentor, daughter, sister, business owner - always striving to be the best I can be. And, a mother of 2 amazing boys.

mkvand
on 8/21/13 7:39 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I choose Mexico because my insurance does not cover WLS under any cir****tances.  In your case, given that your out of pocket costs are the same either way, you should find the doctor you are the most comfortable with and who has the best reputation, regardless of which country he's in, and go with that doctor. 

Mary C.
on 8/21/13 8:30 pm - Glovertown, Canada

For my husband - we chose Mexico as his health would have deteriorated too much in the 4 yr wait time it would take here in Canada - that it would hardly make it worthwhile. We could have self paid in Canada or the US - but Mexico was far more reasonable as far as costs go. We chose Dr. Joya based on personal experiences of people we know who have gone to him. Good luck to you!

llLou
on 8/22/13 3:17 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I chose Mexico because of  the long wait here.

I was fortunate enough to meet Dr. Kelly at a seminar he gave here. I immediately knew he was the surgeon for me. He stayed for an extra hour after the seminar just sitting and talking to us. Of course I also researched him and read all his reviews. He was born in Michigan and worked in the US but went to medical school in Mexico.

I am an RN and took my friend who is a nurse also. We were very impressed with my care. Dr. Kelly's entire team is top notch.I would recommend him to any one.

We were treated like gold. We stayed at the beautiful Lucerne Hotel. We were taken to restaurants to eat and out to Revolution Ave. to shop. the hospital he used at the time was also great but I've read the hospital he uses now is also good.

I paid $5,700. in Nov. 2012. i had to also pay for my airfare to San Diego. We were picked up at our hotel(I wanted to see San Diego) by Dr. Kelly's wife.

Good Luck. Message me with any questions you may have.   Linda

RockyRitz
on 8/23/13 10:26 am - CA
Where was the death? I am going through the process of scheduling with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali right now. I chose him because he has more experience with performing the gastric sleeve surgery than two doctors I was looking at locally where I live in Southern California. Plus he is thousands less than the surgeons here.
becks856
on 8/26/13 10:19 am

Yes.  You need to carefully consider.  Go to verticalsleevetalk.com and look under sefl pay mexico forum.  You will get all the info.

lucasnlaken
on 8/25/13 2:23 am - Santa Rosa Beach, FL
VSG on 08/12/13

I chose Mexico for the same reasons most others are posting... The waiting time for insurance and the amount of time, moneey and stress to be approved.  The cost of surgery was also a great factor for me.  I had VSG with Dr. Kelly on August 12 , 2013 and had a great experience.

Stephanie

VSG August 12, 2013

Luarra28
on 11/18/13 8:52 am - Lugoff, SC

Hi.  My reasons for choosing Mexico.  

1. my insurance will not cover any treatment for anything labeled for obesity. in short WLS and dietitians are not covered.  That is just the company plan i have.

2. yes, i have done the structured tries and fails but I didn't include my PCP in it.  So, I would have to spend time money redoing those and having it documented this time around.  I already have co-morbidities. I have another one knocking on my door. So, i feel like time is running out.

3. I have to use my 401k to pay for it. So price is a factor.  To be honest., if someone was to walk up to me and pay for me to have it here. I would only because i would be close to home.   The drs. on my short list have done way more surgeries than any of the ones locally and that in itself  scares me about having it done here.  

now if my insurance company would pay for me to have it in Mexico. I would be elated. 

Cindy B.
on 11/18/13 9:32 am
VSG on 10/22/12

We don't have any health insurance at all. I researched having the VSG surgery in the US but found it was too expensive and the wait was pretty long. I knew my health and felt comfortable going to Mexico and Dr. Aceves for my surgery. I know 2 other people in my area who had their surgeries with him and were very pleased with their experiences. One of them actually went with my husband and I, and as a qualified medical professional was allowed to scrub in and observe the surgery. Even though I talked to a couple of people who used the same surgeon, I still researched him online and talked with his staff and got all of my questions answered through his office.

I was a bit afraid of having complications from the surgery, more from just having the surgery than having it done in Mexico. Without any insurance it's kind of scary to have a surgery done that is elective, meaning I didn't have to have it done, I wanted to have it done.

The first few days after my surgery I wondered what I had done to myself. But since then I haven't regretted it at all. The first month was difficult, but looking back now it was worth it. My health and quality of life are SO much better now. 

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views