Nova Hospital and Dr. Ramos Kelly

RockyRitz
on 8/20/13 8:32 am - CA
Is there anyone who has recently had WLS with Dr. Kelly since he has been at Nova Hospital? I wanted to book with him because of all the patients who seem to adore him, but the fact that he keeps moving from hospital to hospital worries me a bit. Also, I heard he is not forthcoming with the medical docs (surgery notes, x-rays, etc.).

He is considerably more affordable than some other Surgeons I've been looking into which also worries me. It makes me think he's got some baggage and therefore lowered his prices to get more patients. Am I making things worse than they really are?

I am so confused after researching WLS surgeons nonstop for the past week!
RockyRitz
on 8/20/13 10:40 am - CA
Also I think it's strange that his website and other websites he is listed on do not reflect the change. I also have received information from his patient coordinator and she made no mention about Nova hospital either. Odd right?
Danigirl58
on 8/21/13 12:27 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13
I had my surgery in June with Dr Kelly at Nova hospital and had no issues at all. I also asked for medical documents, to give my Dr back home, and I got those to with no issues. I was told that he switched hospitals due to issues with the other hospital not following some if his rules for his patients. Honestly I could care less if he switched hospitals what is more important is his skill in the OR (and I believe that he took his OR staff with him).

Skinny_Future
on 8/21/13 9:00 am
VSG on 08/02/13

I was just reading another forum regarding another problem with Dr. Kelly (vertical sleeve talk / under self pay Mexico)  about additional fees being presented post surgery to many patients.

RockyRitz
on 8/21/13 9:45 am - CA
I am happy to hear that you had a positive experience. It's not the hospital I'm concerned with but the fact that he's left several hospitals within the past few years. Mi hospital, Florence Hospital and another one but I can't recall the name. It's just fishy to me so I'm going to go with my gut (pun intended) on this one and have the sleeve with someone else.
this_isforme
on 8/21/13 11:24 am
with

You have to go with a doctor you feel comfortable with.  If you don't feel comfortable with him, you should keep checking out doctors until you are 100% sure about him or her.  

I had a gynecologist in Houston that left the Woman's Hospital, to end up delivering babies at Methodist Hospital.  No reflection on the doctor or his skills.  I think he had a problem with the hospital, but what do I know?  ;)  

You definitely want to be comfortable about your choice, since it is out of country.  I am leaning towards one doctor, but Dr Kelly is still on my radar. 

llLou
on 8/21/13 12:18 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

I'm quiet sure he was with other hospitals because of the contracts he was under with companies he was with. I know he was not happy with working at so many hospitals without his own staff. I'm pretty sure that is the reason he only goes to one hospital now. He now works on his own with no company involvement now.

.I had my VSG done by him in Nov.2012. I am an RN and have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. Kelly and his staff.

If you have any questions about my experience please message me. You can call Dr. Kelly's office and they will have him call you back. He is very easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have. He will honestly answer your questions about the hospital. I have his office phone numbers if you need them.  

Good Luck.   Linda

lucasnlaken
on 8/21/13 12:40 pm - Santa Rosa Beach, FL
VSG on 08/12/13

Just had surgery last week with Dr. Kelly at Nova.  Great experience. Dr. Kelly and team very skilled and professional .  Same to say about Nova hospital.  Everything was very legit and professional.  Could not have asked for better

RockyRitz
on 8/21/13 1:11 pm - CA
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. I have read lots of great things about Dr. Kelly and how much patients adore him. I just have concerns so I am going with one of my other top choices. I was also considering Dr. Ariel Ortiz but found he had not done so many VSG surgeries and wasn't comfortable that I had a hard time finding feedback from his patients. I have decided on Dr. Aceves, who like Kelly, has lots of great patient feedback and I also like his coordinator the most. Very informative and professional. You're right This_isforme, I just need to be 100% sure.

I overthink everything which is both a blessing and a curse when it comes to having this surgery.
Labyrinth
on 8/26/13 5:11 am

You should absolutely go with whoever you feel more comfortable with.

As for surgery with Dr. Kelly, I was told that you would have the option to have the operation at either Nova OR Mi... but that Dr. Kelly prefers Nova because of their policies.  Mainly, because Mi was more like a "clinic" even though they say they're a hospital and have specific hours that they are open. So if they're only open 8am-8pm (just an example) your doctor would not be able to treat you, or check on you after hours. I was specificaly told, "They lock the doors!"  That didn't sit well with me.....

Also, I have also heard their is a pending lawsuit between Dr. Kelly and some of his former medical tourism coordinators that he is no longer affiliated with... but they will not take him off their website. So that may be why he has changed hospitals.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views