Gastric Sleeve Cost question

megan1emma2lilly3
on 8/3/13 3:30 am - dartmouth, Canada

I am seriously thinking of having my WLS in Mexico. As cost play a role (expertise plays a major role), does the WLS cost less depending on when you travel to Mexico i.e. summer vs winter ?  Heather                                                                                                      

mkvand
on 8/3/13 7:44 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I am planning on having VSG in Mexico early next year (I just had knee surgery so I need the time to build up leave at work).  They quoted me the surgery price before knowing when I wanted it, and didn't change it after I told them, so as far as I can tell it's the same.  What might be different is air fare.

llLou
on 8/3/13 11:50 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I also think it is the airfare that increases the price depending on the month you go.I  went in November and December was much more expensive while August was cheaper. Flying from Halifax to San Diego cost about $1000 in Nov. 2012.

I chose Dr. Kelly in TJ who was fantastic. Message me if you have any questions.

Labyrinth
on 8/3/13 12:07 pm

The few that I have spoke to seem to be set in their prices but I was sure to ask how long should I expect that price to stay the same because I am planning on having my surgery NEXT summer.  Some were pushy, and really wanted me to "schedule by the end of this month and save $250!" --The hard sell did NOT sit well with me....--- While others basically told me to make sure I filled out my paper work by December/January so I would be able to lock in the current price.  Which seemed reasonable.  PLUS...Make sure you're getting quality care.  Don't sacrifice your safety and possibly your life to save a "few" bucks by having cut rate procudures/practices. :)

Flights do vary depending on the time of year... and depending on the days of the week you fly in/out.  Tuesday-Thursday are your cheapest flying days, fyi.  I did an expedia search and played with what week/month to figure out if I would be saving anything by moving my surgery between May-July.  Also, because of where I live in FL I'm close (within a 1-2 hr drive) to 3 major airports and compared the three pricewise.  Not sure if you're able to do something similar.

Hope that helps!

Aavenger
on 8/20/13 8:44 am - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17
I'm from nl just wondering about your overall experience also after care,I was going to fly into Tijuana is itore costly?how far to hospital from San Diego any tips you can offer? Also how is it going did you loose the weight. Thanks
chopper57
on 8/3/13 11:36 pm

I am planning to do the same thing.  Do you have any advice on how to go about getting a fair price and don't get ripped off? I will be doing this on my own and worry about safety too.  Why is there such a difference in price between the different companies?Has anyone put down their deposit and then lost it?

bigisbad
on 8/4/13 11:45 pm - Canada, Canada

Use a respectable doctor and he wont ask for a deposit to hold your booking. And don't just research the doctor, research the hospital as well. I can give you better advice if you want. Just pm me.

Good luck with your decision.

AND DONT BOOK THE CHEAPEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have stories upon stories about that!

Aavenger
on 8/20/13 8:46 am - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17
Please give me any advice you can. What hospital good surgeon cost is not an issue when it'sy health. Thanks
megan1emma2lilly3
on 8/4/13 12:07 am - dartmouth, Canada

thank you everyone for your response, I am leaning towards Tijuana, Mexico. with  Dr.Ramos Kelly, all my research I have done, I feel comfortable with him. There are several Dr. I think you just need to find one that meets your needs. I agree airfare is a key player in costs and will book around the lowest airfares. I am saving now so it will be in 2014. the wait time in Nova Scotia is 10 years (you could be dead by then!)

Thanks again love this forum great information and individuals at all stages of the journey which is so inspiring!

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/4/13 12:43 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Another option instead of going to Mexico is going to Europe...  I am an American living in Belgium and while I am covered by the Belgian social security system, I see regularly people from all over the world at the Weightloss Clinique I use in Brussels.  I know the airfare to Europe isn't cheap either, but I believe the surgery rates and hospital stays rival Mexico.  My surgeon, Prof. Guy-Bernard Cadiere, is the first surgeon in the world to perform a bariactric surgery by Laproscopy.  He and his team are fantastic and almost everyone I have been in contact with speaks fluent English.  

It is just another option out there to consider.  If you want to contact me/friend me I'd be happy to help you find out more information.

Good luck!

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?