Drs. Valenzuela, Ortiz, or Joya?. Can't decide, need help.

christine500
on 7/30/13 3:24 pm

Tell that to the man who died.  

Sorry, but we simply do not have enough information to just justify it by saying it is a normal and expected complication at some point.

Jennifer L.
on 7/30/13 4:16 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Would you mind sharing where you received this information? 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Jennifer L.
on 7/30/13 5:23 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I did get information about what happened and out of respect for the family I don't want to cause any argument. However, echoing Dani, the cause was a post-op complication and those complications can happen. With any surgery, there is risk. It was not of Dr. Valenzuela herself. It does not diminish the devastation of the situation. It is a very sad situation and I feel so terrible for the family. However, I dont think is it fair to use situation to cause fear. It is very sad, but not the norm and Dr. Valenzuela is still a very good surgeon. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

LVeronica
on 7/31/13 11:41 pm, edited 7/31/13 11:42 pm

"Tell that to the man who died."

I was told before my surgery that one of the complications is death.  National statistics in the US say one out of every 200 patients will die from a complication of weight loss surgery.  The numbers are about the same for abdominal hysterectomy for example.  I am sure the man who died was aware of his surgical risk.  If you only went to a surgeon who had no surgical complications your surgeon would be woefully under experienced.

christine500
on 8/1/13 12:20 am
On August 1, 2013 at 6:41 AM Pacific Time, LVeronica wrote:

"Tell that to the man who died."

I was told before my surgery that one of the complications is death.  National statistics in the US say one out of every 200 patients will die from a complication of weight loss surgery.  The numbers are about the same for abdominal hysterectomy for example.  I am sure the man who died was aware of his surgical risk.  If you only went to a surgeon who had no surgical complications your surgeon would be woefully under experienced.

Dr Aceves and Dr Cirangle have had zero deaths.  Dr Valenzuela has had a few.

Danigirl58
on 8/1/13 2:03 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

All surgeons will have a death due to any type of surgery, it is the worst complication but it happens more then you would ever realize. The surgeons can not look at a person and say yup this patient is going to toss a clot and that one isn't, if it were that simple national statistics on death and surgery would be zero. Most people that die as a result of surgery pass away due to complications not surgeon skill. If your heart decides that yeah its a little mad at you and isn't going to work well or you toss a clot and get a pulmonary embolus again surgeon skill isn't going to help you there either. Going into a surgery as healthy as you can and not lying to your doctor about past medical history is very very important and can go a long way. We all sign a document stating that we are informed about the risks of surgery (informed consent). We all go under the knife knowing that death is a possibility .... and we pray to god that we will not be the statistic  

It is still a sad event that happened, a person lost his life in an attempt to change his life. For the family there is nothing that can be said to take away there loss and hurt. Attempting to make it seem like his surgeon doesn't care about her patients lives is a sad thing to do. None of us know the patients situation or background medical conditions. It is easy to pass judgment when you were not involved in the event. I am not saying this to attack you or your thoughts but rather to add a different side to what you have written/applied on here.

christine500
on 8/1/13 3:52 pm
On August 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM Pacific Time, Danigirl58 wrote:

All surgeons will have a death due to any type of surgery, it is the worst complication but it happens more then you would ever realize. The surgeons can not look at a person and say yup this patient is going to toss a clot and that one isn't, if it were that simple national statistics on death and surgery would be zero. Most people that die as a result of surgery pass away due to complications not surgeon skill. If your heart decides that yeah its a little mad at you and isn't going to work well or you toss a clot and get a pulmonary embolus again surgeon skill isn't going to help you there either. Going into a surgery as healthy as you can and not lying to your doctor about past medical history is very very important and can go a long way. We all sign a document stating that we are informed about the risks of surgery (informed consent). We all go under the knife knowing that death is a possibility .... and we pray to god that we will not be the statistic  

It is still a sad event that happened, a person lost his life in an attempt to change his life. For the family there is nothing that can be said to take away there loss and hurt. Attempting to make it seem like his surgeon doesn't care about her patients lives is a sad thing to do. None of us know the patients situation or background medical conditions. It is easy to pass judgment when you were not involved in the event. I am not saying this to attack you or your thoughts but rather to add a different side to what you have written/applied on here.

Surgeon's skill and training absolutely plays a role in preventing complications (including blood clots, etc).  If you do not believe that, you may as well go the cheapest surgeon out there and go with the flow.

Danigirl58
on 8/1/13 4:18 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13
A surgeons skill and training are parimount when it comes to your surgery and attempting to prevent a complication. Some complications such as tossing a clot (PE) are not 100% preventable andtit is foolish to think that it is. Some complications a surgeon can try there best and fight to bring you back from the brink and sometimes they are able to bring people back. Making comments about the cheapness of a surgeon is also out of place as expensive surgeons have deaths too. I have worked with some great surgeons that have had deaths and I would still trust them with my life. Out of respect for the person that passed this will be my final comment as I have no desire to debate about this subject and lessen the life of the gentleman that passed away.

christine500
on 8/1/13 4:27 pm

And that is exactly the point I am trying to make.  If all surgeons were equal, everyone would choose the one with the best price, rather than with the best skills.  Not all surgeons put the same effort into preventing blood clots.  To assume this patient died because of mere statistics is sad and honestly a little disturbing.  

Lovedopus
on 2/15/14 1:58 pm

Actually, Dr. Aceves has had one and I don't think Dr. V had 'a few'.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views