Opinions on Mexico Bariatric Center or WLS4BetterLife?

divamc
on 7/27/13 7:59 am - Riverview, FL

Actually, the problems that I experienced with Mexico Bariatric Center had nothing to do with Dr. Kelly. I had a problem with MBC being disorganized. Key information was wrong. They tried to sign me up for the wrong surgery. I got what I wanted and got through the process unscathed, but if I knew then what I know now I would have booked directly with Dr. Kelly.

Jennifer L.
on 7/27/13 10:20 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
Yes but my point is that the disorganization was probably because try weren't getting along so well. I am not saying its right. I am just saying that mbc and dr Kelly weren't getting along very well and sadly patients got stuck in the middle. I am not saying it was because of dr. Kelly. I am just saying that since they were in bad terms, it was very disorganized in terms if mbc and dr Kelly. With dr Kelly I would recommend going directly with him.

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

divamc
on 7/28/13 6:49 am - Riverview, FL

From my personal experience, I can tell you that the issues that I had with MBC had nothing to do with Dr. Kelly or their relationship. If I had another surgeon, I doubt I would have had a different opinion of MBC. For example, after I had the surgery there was a mix up with my leak test. They took me to a hospital to have it done and after waiting a half and hour, they told me that we had to go to another hospital because the doctor who was supposed to do my leak test wasn't there that day. That had nothing to do with Dr. Kelly. I felt that they should have had a better handle on their scheduling to eliminate something like that from happening. Granted, Dr. Kelly expressed that I was the last patient that he would handle through MBC, the issues that came up should not have been the result of the surgeon that I had. I should have been give good service regardless of how they felt about who was doing my surgery. To say that MBC was giving me subpar service because they were beefing with Dr. Kelly just highlights their lack of professionalism.

LVeronica
on 7/26/13 8:37 pm

I am about four months post vertical gastric sleeve.  I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator.  Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela were my surgeons in Tijuana and Dr. Garcia assisted.  Everything went smoothly.  Every question I had was answered quickly and completely.  When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me.  I felt great post op.  I had no significant postoperative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications.  I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel.  I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable.  The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English.  Air fare to San Diego was actually less expensive than to the Texas border towns from my location.  I never felt unsafe in Tijuana and I went by myself.  I took a cab to the Pacific Ocean and shopped on Revolution Avenue.  I walked to the Walmart about half a mile from the hotel.  I have followed up with my own primary care doctor.   I was in Mexico a total of five days.  I spent three nights in the hospital, including one pre-op because my plane arrived so late, and two nights in the hotel.  I scheduled in late December for a late February surgery date, but they had some immediate openings available.  I also needed time to renew my passport.   I went back to work about 5 days after surgery and could have gone back sooner.  However I do have a pretty sedentary "desk job".  I was a very low risk patient, BMI around 40 and no comorbidities or surgical risk factors, no previous abdominal surgery. 

I know I keep writing the same response to all of these "What surgeon in Mexico should I choose" questions, but I am very grateful to all the staff (doctors, nurses, anesthesia, ancillary support personnel, coordinator, driver, and hotel staff) that made my surgery and my trip go smoothly and safely, and I want to support their program.  As in the states, I am sure there are a lot of very good surgeons in Mexico.   If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.    

Nicky1982
on 7/28/13 11:29 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

I have been dealing with Christy mostly as well, Cindy on occasion, and I must say, they really seem as though they care about you as a person. Christy took extra time with the facilities doctors to ensure that the doctor they chose for me had the qualifications to handle someone quite high risk, such as myself. I haven't made the decision yet, but they sure to make you feel like they are looking out for you! I'm so happy to hear it all went so well for you!

Danigirl58
on 7/27/13 2:41 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

Nicky

I have no idea about MBC or either of your Dr's. I just wanted to say hi mail its nice to see another pegger on here. I didn't meet MB's program as I was 10lbs to light so I went down in June and Dr Kelly did my procedure. I was also a high risk person and came through the surgery with no issues. I like the fact that he did his training in MN/USA and that he has done the cirrcut in Canada and the USA regarding bariatrics. I would say if at all possible book directly with your surgeon especially if you are a high risk as then most will communicate with you personally (not saying the Dr's that go through MBC or other places don't communicate with you).

If you have any questions at all send me a privet message  

Good luck with your decision

llLou
on 7/29/13 5:05 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I am another very satisfied patient who went directly through Dr. Kelly's office.

I had such a great experience with Dr. Kelly and his team. I would recommend them to everyone. They treated us like gold.

bigisbad
on 7/30/13 11:13 am - Canada, Canada

Just got back from TJ last month with a friend that also had Doc Kelly.

Its a positive!

If you want more info I think I can help with giving you the local knowledge. I have been to TJ 12 times. Just pm me

Anyway... good luck.

Another fellow Canadian!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views