Overwhelmed and I've got TONS of questions...HELP

amimiff
on 7/20/13 12:31 pm, edited 7/20/13 3:06 pm - Simpsonville, SC

So I have read and read and read about going to Mexico for surgery. I am finally convinced that I am going to do it because as most of you I am going to have to self pay but it is going to change and save my life. I have decided on the Sleeve. ANYWAY I have some questions....

1. How long did it take you to go from decision date to surgery date. I am already excited and buzzing with anticipation. 

2. Who do you recommend? I have seen a few names that people recommend but I can't seem to decide who would be the best choice. 

3. WHERE in Mexico would you suggest? I live in SC and was looking at everyone's experience in TJ but that is the farthest from me. (but if it is worth it then I'm there)

4. How long of a stay in Mexico can be anticipated. (assuming there are no complications) AND how much recovery time should be expected at home (if any). 

cyn.reed
on 7/20/13 1:16 pm - TX

I am going to Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez, just across the border from El Paso. I have heard nothing but good things about him. I am having surgery on 8/27 (I finish school a few days before). I will arrive on the 26th and leave on the 29th and you stay in the hospital the whole time, no hotels. I could have gotten an earlier date if it weren't for my schedule. As far as recovery time, I think it depends on the person. I have read where some go back to work in 1 week, while some stay home 2 or more.

amimiff
on 7/20/13 1:56 pm - Simpsonville, SC

Thank you for responding. I have read so many stories I am all excited for us all! Good luck with your surgery! 

Jennifer L.
on 7/20/13 1:24 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Congrats on taking your health into your hands!

1.) It took 4 weeks from making the call to the surgery. I could have had it much sooner, but I needed to get my passport so I needed the extra time.

2.) I had Dr. Valenzuela. Her price was right and I liked her stats. She did a WONDERFUL job and I feel amazing. However, there are MANY great surgeons in Mexico. Do your research and figure out who you are comfortable with... because most of us are going to say our surgeons are the best ;)

3.) Tijuana is where I went... I am from Ohio, so it was a bit to fly to San Deigo then ride into Mexico. At the end of the day... the distance isn't as important because truth be told, you're traveling. lol It isn't avoidable. 

4.) I was in Mexico for 5 days... Tuesday to Sunday (arrived Tuesday, left Sunday). My recovery time hasn't been much but I had the sleeve. I dont remember if I saw what surgery you picked or not. Every one is different... the people who had surgery the same day in the same hospital as me all seem to be recovering very quickly like I am. My surgeon recommends 15 days off of work... I work from home... and when I am in the office, it is a desk job... so I didn't need any time away from work (actually I was working immediately after sugery. lol) Expect to be tired in the afternoons though... I feel AMAZING but feel the need for naps by 4 or 5pm. 

I hope this helped!!! I have an instagram account, its in my signature, that shows my experience in Mexico. That might help you as well. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

amimiff
on 7/20/13 2:02 pm - Simpsonville, SC

Jennifer, 

Your story was one that I had gotten quite into. In fact I already followed you on instagram and was inspired. After all of my reading, I have decided that I too am going to get the sleeve. (I should add that to my original post). I am a college student (for the 3rd time) so I am not too worried about the down time but I do not want anyone here to know that I went to Mexico for surgery for all the reasons I am sure you can guess. So I am hoping that I can just blame my down time on my bad back and nobody would be the wiser.

Thank you for responding, I am sure I will probably hit you up with some more questions before it is all said and done. 

Jennifer L.
on 7/20/13 3:13 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Not going to lie... you made me blush!  I am so glad my story is helping people!

I didn't want people to know I went either. I told people at work that I had to have surgery on my stomach (just made it about another issue... not weight lose) and left out the Mexico part... that way they wouldnt give me a deadline ON my surgery date and would explain taking so long to get back to them. Also, letting them know it was on my stomach, helps when the weight will come off because I told them I have to have a protein diet to ease back into regular food and I will forever have less food to eat... sort of covered my bases. lol I don't like to lie... but I dont want to be judged based on a surgery I NEEDED for my health and life. 

Good luck with everything and please keep me posted!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

LVeronica
on 7/20/13 9:18 pm, edited 7/20/13 9:19 pm

I am about four months post vertical gastric sleeve.  I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator.  Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela were my surgeons in Tijuana and Dr. Garcia assisted.  Everything went smoothly.  Every question I had was answered quickly and completely.  When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me.  I felt great post op.  I had no significant post operative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications.  I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel.  I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable.  The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English.  Air fare to San Diego was actually less expensive than to the Texas border towns from my location.  I never felt unsafe in Tijuana and I went by myself.  I took a cab to the Pacific Ocean and shopped on Revolution Avenure.  I walked to the Walmart about half a mile from the hotel.  I have followed up with my own primary care doctor.   I was in Mexico a total of five days.  Three nights in the hospital, including one pre-op because my plane arrived so late, and two nights in the hotel.  I scheduled in late December for a late February surgery date, but they had some immediate openings available.  I also needed time to renew my passport.   I went back to work about 5 days after surgery and could have gone back sooner.  However I do have a pretty sedentary "desk job".  

I know I keep writting the same response to all of these "What surgeon in Mexico should I choose" questions, but I am very grateful to all the staff (doctors, nurses, anesthesia, ancillary support personel, coordinator, driver, and hotel staff) that made my surgery and my trip go smoothly and safely, and I want to support their program.  If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.    

amimiff
on 7/21/13 7:22 am - Simpsonville, SC

Thank you for sharing. I had read your story as well and it appears as if Dr. Valenzuela is very popular and highly regarded through out the posts on the message board. 

Mary C.
on 7/20/13 10:19 pm - Glovertown, Canada

It was my husband - but here are the answers to your questions.

#1 - A month - I gave them a tentative week and they were able to fit us in. I had been in contact with Gerald - who is Dr. Joya's co-ordinator, in the past. So the request for a date was not straight out of the blue.

#2 - Dr. Joya

#3 - Dr. Joya is in PVR

#4 - We arrived on a Sunday - A day early - our choice - Surgery on Tuesday - left to fly home on Saturday. Recovery time varies - I had RNY yrs ago - work in a physically demanding job - had 6 weeks. I know people who have fairly non physical jobs who have gone back to work after a week with no problems. 

Keep doing what you are doing and read, read, read and research. Your choice of surgeon is yours alone.

Best of luck to you!

amimiff
on 7/21/13 7:25 am - Simpsonville, SC

Mary, thank you for sharing your husband's story. I will check out Dr. Joya, I have seen that name through out the boards, however it seems as if more people have gone to Tijuana. Best of luck to your husband !

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views