Need advice on finding a doctor for gastric sleeve in Mexico

Jennifer L.
on 7/18/13 4:05 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I actually liked my service. I dont think I paid any more than the other... I think it might depend on the surgeon, but I was very happy with the people involved in coordinating my surgery. 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

LVeronica
on 7/19/13 1:20 pm

I am about four months post vertical gastric sleeve.  I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator.  Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela were my surgeons in Tijuana and Dr. Garcia assisted.  Everything went smoothly.  Every question I had was answered quickly and completely.  When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me.  I felt great post op.  I had no significant post operative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications.  I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel.  I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable.  The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English. They were competatively priced which is a consideration when you are self-pay as I was as well.  Air fare to San Diego was actually less expensive than to the Texas border towns.   I have followed up with my own primary care doctor.   I am very happy with my results and would be happy to comment further on my experience if you have any specific questions. 

Sorry I keep posting the same thing, but people keep asking the same question!  I am so happy with my surgery, my surgeons, my anesthesiologist, my whole experience in Tijuana that I really want to promote and support them.     

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/14 5:39 am

Christy has said that I will have Dr. Jacqueline Osuna from Mexico Bariatric Centre, do you know anything about her skills?

Did you book the Marriott or do they book for you? Christy said the hotel will be either that one or another. Can companion stay with you in hospital? Is it a full service hospital if there are emergency complications?

how are you doing post op now?

Thanks! 😀

Velma44
on 7/20/13 3:04 am

I recently wrote a post about my experience with Dr Aceves in Mexicali. I'm not sure what he costs for the sleeve as i had a RNY but i have to say my experience was wonderful. 

I can't believe I'm referring to a surgery as wonderful but it was!

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/21/13 1:41 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
He charges $8750 US for the sleeve. I've heard that he'll work with people on the financial part if needed. (As in part down, then monthly payments) it's true that he's one of the more expensive, but when I made my decision last year I wanted as little risk as possible, and he's one of the 3 I narrowed my search to. Once I'd done that I wrote to all 3 and was happiest with the communication from his office. I was sleeved 3 weeks later. (My sis jumped on board and was sleeved the same day)

My sis and I were both sleeved by him last June, I travelled down as support for a friend a few months back, my husband a month ago and my daughter last week. (I am SO glad to be able to stay put for a bit!) We've all been very happy with our experience there and the quality of care.

My sis has lost 55# to goal and has been maintaining for 4-5 months now, my friend is down 50#-ish, my hubby 23#. All are feeling well and have had no complications.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mshorrible4
on 7/23/13 6:17 am - Baltimore, MD

Did you guys go down there by yourself?  And when did you guys all go back to work?  Sorry if you've answered these questions before, but I've been looking at this message board for years and debating what to do.  I'm unsure about going alone, but I have two young boys and my husband will need to look after them if i go down there.  I also have little family or anyone that could take off to go with me.  I also would rather not tell people what I'm doing... I'm 5'10" and I'm only about 50-60lbs overweight, so people hear "surgery in Mexico" and think I'm nuts.  I don't understand why I need to wait until I'm 100 lbs overweight and have a slew of medical issues to go through with it.  I'm 36 and I am tired of the gain/loss/gain/food addiction.

Ok enough rambling.  Thanks for all your help answering my questions.

Labyrinth
on 7/24/13 4:15 am

I haven't scheduled my surgery yet but I will say that.... There is no way in HELL I would go to a foreign country for surgery of any type without having someone there who I know would have my best interests in mind in the event I was not able to make decisions.

llLou
on 7/24/13 2:34 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

I  had my VSG done with Dr. Kelly last November and went directly through his office. His price then was $5,700. I don't know why but the price does vary. People I know have paid less going through his office. He was worth every cent. He is a fantastic surgeon and his surgical team are great.

We were treated like gold. I am a nurse and the friend I took down with me is also a nurse. My medical care was terrific.Ii went to the Oasis Of Hope Hospital(small and older but very clean and excellent staff).We then went to the beautiful Lucerne hotel for 2 nights where we were checked on by Dr. Kelly and his coordinator daily. His coordinator drove us  out to dinner and shopping. We were never left alone during our outings and we always felt safe.We would have walked alone outside the hospital and hotel but we never had to. Dr. Kelly's wife( who is a nurse) picked us up at our hotel in San Diego and dropped us off at the airport when we left our hotel in TJ.she works in his office.

Good luck on your choice.Message me with any questions.

lareina007
on 7/25/13 12:39 pm - mesquite, TX
I did so much research I was dreaming about doctors. I was undecided between dr Valenzuela and dr Lopez ,both coordinators were great . I decided on dr Lopez ,the price was the same under 5000. My surgery is August 9 and I just started my preop diet. I'm nervous and excited on starting my new journey.
Cind52
on 12/11/13 10:06 am

How did your surgery go?

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?