Need advice on finding a doctor for gastric sleeve in Mexico

cyn.reed
on 7/15/13 12:20 pm - TX

Several have payment plans, if that would help you.

Danigirl58
on 7/15/13 2:38 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

I had my surgery in Mexico as well and I to find that the moderators post is very inappropriate!! Yes it is a different country and yes you are far from home, but no matter where you have it done there are good Dr's and bad Dr's period.

Do your research and be comfortable with who you chose. I had Dr Kelly and found that he was great (I'm a nurse that has some serious control issues lol). Yes in Mexico there can be some other BS issues but Dr Kellys skills in the OR was not one of those issues. I am nearly 4 weeks post op and doing good ..... ok I'd like to chew more but that's for another post lol my procedure was 5200. sometimes budgets are good but this is something that you are going to have to deal with for life, do your research and be comfortable with your decision. Also for all those nay sayers that are scared of Mexico let them rant, there are many many many people that went to Mexico for this and are very happy with the results and thier surgeries.

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 5:42 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am with you on the chewing! lol I miss chewing so much... *sigh*

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

jarrellsmommy
on 7/16/13 1:06 am - Sacramento, CA

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it. I also found it odd that Member Services would post something like that, but I won't let it bother me; my husbands from Mexico and, while they do have different standards down there, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Just like anywhere else there's good and bad doctors, and price dose not always indicate which one you'll get. 

After researching, reading reviews and taking into consideration advice and suggestions from this thread as well as this forum in general, I have narrowed it down to 2 doctors; Dr. Kelly and Dr. Alejandro Lopez. I feel comfortable with both of these doctors after looking into them and speaking to their patient coordinators.  One thing I was wondering though, Dr. Kelly charges 2 different prices, depending on which hospital you choose to have your surgery done. Both are with my budget, but it's $1,000 less to get it done at Hospitol Mi Doctore than it is to get it done at Nova Hospital. Is one hospital better, or do they just charge him more to use the other one? That's the only thing I'm curious about. 

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. Have a great day!  

Danigirl58
on 7/16/13 3:41 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

I think that the hospitals do charge a different price. While Nova hospital is an older building it has everything in it including xray, lab, blood bank and a ICU. To me it helped ease my mind that if something went wrong that I would still be some good hands. I had my Sx done at Nova it has internet connection that one of the nurse*****hes in the code for you so if you bring down your cell phone you can connect to something like Viber and talk to your family through there WIFI on your phone... loved that part lol.

If you have any other questions about Dr Kelly you can send me a privet message (and friend request) and I will answer your questions honestly mail

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 5:43 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I had mine done at Mi Doctor and it was pretty good if you ask me. Nothing fancy, but a basic hospital comparable to the states.

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 5:45 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Oh and I am glad that the comment from members services didn't bother you... I was upset more than just what you were reading, but what others who lurk around would begin thinking because members services said this. These threads help people beyond who is in the initial conversation and I just hope it doesnt scare others who are considering surgery in Mexico.

Good luck with who ever you choose!! 

Instagram

Mary C.
on 7/16/13 11:25 pm - Glovertown, Canada

I also found it odd that member services posted here. Can't say I've seen that before. In any case - for my husband - we chose Dr. Joya - $6500.00 - everything was top notch and no problems. I think you need to read, read, read these posts and forums and be comfortable with the communication and interaction you have with whatever surgeon you choose when you do contact their office. I have seen posts where people are soooo stressed out because they are making arrangements to go down and then can't get hold of the people down in Mexico. I feel good contact interaction with the people down there when you have questions etc is paramount. Good luck!

Jennifer L.
on 7/17/13 7:30 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

That was my issue with Dr. Kelly. I wanted him because he did seem like a great surgeon, but I could NEVER reach him! They didnt get back to me until 5 days later. That is not ok with me. If I can't reach them to schedule my surgery (I mean goodness, that is money in their pocket!) then I knew I couldnt trust to reach them in time when I had serious questions. After 2 days I went with Dr. Valenzuela because I liked what I read on her... and the price helped too. Price was not the only factor, but it was some factor. I am very happy with my choice. No frills, but I never felt like I was in a "3rd world" when I was there. 

I think Mexico was a great option! I am very happy!

Instagram

charmedaz
on 7/18/13 12:25 pm

im a dr joya fan...i love how he didnt dig out of my belly button :P and i had no outer stitches...i loved recovering relaxing by the ocean..i loved my trip, everything was just laid out precise..facilities were beautiful and clean..you can see my big write up on my experiance as well as mary's about 2-3 pages back ...

tips for mexico..dont use a service..go right to the surgeons website and book direct

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views