Sugery Complication Fund

Mary C.
on 7/7/13 11:15 pm - Glovertown, Canada

Dr. Joya offers an optional surgery complication fund that you can pay into. We did. It just gave us a little more piece of mind. An extra day or so in hospital due to some unforseen cir****tance could sure end up costing many pesos. Just wanted to put it out there. I have copied a pasted some info about it here - check his website for complete details.

Mary

WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- All medical costs incurred from the surgery complication while the patient is in the hospital in Puerto Vallarta. Once you are discharged from the hospital, this ends your membership in the fund.
- All hospital costs incurred because of the complication while the patient is still in Puerto Vallarta.
- Basically this coverage includes only medical fees and hospital fees incurred by the patient resulting from the surgery and the complication arising out of the surgery.

WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Flight for Life
- Any costs associated with changes to airline tickets and transportation.
- Costs associated with additional nights at the hotel.
- Costs associated with family members coming to Vallarta.
- In case of death, any costs associated with transporting the patient back to the US or cremation. Nor any costs associated with paperwork required to return back to the US.
-Anything that is not a medical or hospital expense is not included in the program.
Coverage ends when you are discharged by Dr. Joya and you go to the hotel. Any complications that arise after you leave Puerto Vallarta are not included in this program. This program is designed to help reduce the costs of complications when they occur. Usually complications occur in less than 1% of the instances in Lapband and Gastric Sleeve surgery and less than 3% of the instances in Gastric Bypass surgery according to Dr. Joya. Dr. Joya may end this program at any time and if he does end this program all patients who have joined this group will be refunded their $500 fee so long as their surgery has not yet taken place. You will only qualify for this group if you have never had a prior bariatric surgery. Also you will not qualify for the group if you have had an open surgery or scar that runs from your breasts to your belly.

christine500
on 7/8/13 2:36 am

Hhmm.  It seems most doctors cover complications while still in Mexico.  It is after you get home I would be more concerned about.  Of course there is Global Protective Solutions which offers insurance to patients  and will cover complications once you are home.

biggranny
on 8/1/13 3:48 am

GPS complication insurance will not cover care provided in the US.  It will only cover care provided in the country the policy is bought for.  I was so disappointed when Adele told me that.  I was excited to find the insurance but it will not work for me.

christine500
on 8/1/13 3:51 am

That is not true.  Global Protection Services will cover complications in the US.  I have it in writing from them.

biggranny
on 8/1/13 12:01 pm

How did you get it?  I have been corresponding with Adele and she said it would not cover in the US.  I would be very very interested in getting this insurance as mine will not cover complications from a procedure they do not pay for.  Any help you could give me I would appreciate!

christine500
on 8/1/13 12:41 pm, edited 8/1/13 12:42 pm

I don't know who Adele is.  Are you talking about this company?  If so, complications in the US are covered as long as you had surgery out of the country.

http://www.globalprotectivesolutions.com/

biggranny
on 8/2/13 12:13 am

Adele is the agent for Global that I have been corresponding with.  Here is her reply when I asked specifically if they would cover treatment done in the US for a complication from a procedure done in Mexico.  I have not heard back from her regarding GPS.  Still holding out  hope!

"I spoke with Mariners Insurance, waiting on GPS.

With the Mariners policy, ALL medical services would have to be in
Mexico. In the event of a complication, if you have returned to the USA,
you would have to fly /drive back to Mexico for follow-up treatment for
your complication. A portion of your travel expenses and up to $160,00 in
medical expenses are included in this policy. ZERO $$ for any
service in the USA (or outside Mexico) so, if you received services in
the USA, these would not be covered.

I believe the GPS plan is exactly the same way. You are covered for the
duration of your trip while in Mexico for accidental and complication
insurance coverage, you would have to return to Mexico for complication
coverage, which remains in effect for 6 months following your procedure.

So now you probably ask - what is the point - well, it is the only
insurance to cover you while out of country on a medical trip. If you were
to have a complication, generally it would show in the first 24 - 72
hours. As a nurse, you know there is a risk with any procedure, this
policy would mitigate risk in the event you had an adverse reaction or a
complication during surgery, or if you fell and broke a bone.

Again, if you have any more questions, or if I am not clear drop me an
email.

Enjoy your weekend!
Adele "

christine500
on 8/2/13 12:19 am, edited 8/2/13 12:26 am

Oh, don't go with Mariners.  I don't trust that company at all.

I still have no clue who Adele is. Contact GPS yourself and talk to Tracy Simons..  One problem with GPS is their low coverage though.  Maximum you can take out for complications is $25,000 and that will cost you almost $1500.

It is really too bad that Seven Corner's Global coverage refuses to add non-JRC hospitals.  Now THAT is a company I trust, and is reasonable in price ($750 for $160,000 of complication insurance for treatment in the US).

What surgeon are you going to?  GPS also only does JRC hospitals, but has added Dr Aceves when he requested it.  They may be open to adding others.

biggranny
on 8/2/13 1:31 am

Adele is the one that replied after I emailed GPS through their site.  Wow, had no idea it was so expensive!  And $25,000 is only a drop in the bucket for a complication!  I did read about Seven Corner's but the doc I am thinking about using does not use a JRC hospital.

Thanks for your reply!

christine500
on 8/2/13 1:40 am

Why would Adele email you back about Mariners?  Sounds to me like you contacted a general insurance agent, not GPS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views