I'm so very confused!!

LVeronica
on 7/2/13 5:40 pm, edited 7/2/13 5:48 pm

I am sure there are many good surgeons in Mexico and some bad apples just as there are here in the states.  Figuring out which one is which is difficult to do stateside as well.  I would be a little suspicious of anyone who bad-mouths a fellow practitioner.  If a fellow surgeon gives substandard care, this needs to be reported to the medical board not gossiped about by the staff with potential patients.  Cost for me was a necessary consideration.  In Mexico, as in the US, cash prices for surgery can vary widely, and I do not believe price necessarily reflects on the skill of the surgeon.     

I can only speak directly on behalf of my own surgeons, Dr Cabrera and Valenzuela in Tijuana.  I am about four months post vertical gastric sleeve.  I went through MexicoBariatricCenter and Christy was my coordinator.   Everything went smoothly.  Every question I had was answered quickly and completely.  When my plane was very delayed arrangements were made for me.  I felt great from day one.  I had no significant post operative pain, nausea, vomiting or other complications.  I walked several miles the first day I was in the hotel.  I was taken to the Tijuana Marriott after being discharged from the hospital and the accomodations and service there was impeccable.  The hospital was clean and well equipped and the staff was friendly and professional and spoke very good English. 

Best of luck with whomever you choose.  I would be happy to answer any additional questions.

Addedendum:  Out of curiosity, I went to Dr. Joya's site.  I think there was a picture of my hospital room in the "inferior Tijuana hospital" picture!  I actually thought my hospital room as sparkling clean and neat and the equipment was all in fine working order.  I went to Tijuana by myself.   I walked alone all around the Tijuana hotel, and took a cab down to the ocean and walked along the beach, and spent several hours on Revolution Avenue shopping for souveniers for friends and family.  I was never afraid or worried about my safety.  Crossing the border was a breeze.  There is a special line and pass that is used for "medical tourists" like myself.  I am sure the wait could be long but it took us less than 15 minutes to cross back to the US on a Sunday morning.  The hospital where I work gets supplies that are are made in China as well and we are a fully accredited American facility.

Broganlaine
on 7/2/13 11:51 pm - Artesia, NM
Thank you, all, for your replies. Hearing first hand knowledge of your own personal experiences really does help ease many of my concerns.

The 'want' is definitely there; the 'need' is growing daily; & the 'courage' has built tremendously. Now, to just scrape up enough cash to get it done & start a new, improved, lighter, & much healthier journey through life.......

Thanks, again. Your testimonies truly ARE greatly appreciated!
pattiashcraft
on 7/8/13 5:57 am - Rosharon, TX

Not to add confusion to your decision, but I used Dr. Lopez in Tijuana.  A Lighter Me.

I have nothing but good, positive and great things to say about Dr. Lopez, the hospital, the nurses, the hotel, the drivers and staff of A Lighter Me.  I had my surgery on May 23. I've lost 36.6 pounds and couldn't be happier!

Good Luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views