Dr. Pompa TJ vs Dr. Joya PV vs Dr. Diaz Guadalajara?

passel
on 6/17/13 11:21 am
Hello All,
I'm trying to make a decision between three surgeons for my VSG surgery.
My first choice is Dr. Pompa in Tijuana. Her service sounds similar to to all other Mexican surgeons and I'm especially impressed that both she and her clinic facilities are accredited by agencies based in the USA. However, her fees seem to be thousands of dollars more than almost almost anyone else.
Dr. Diaz in Guadalajara (Mexico Bariatric Surgery) seems very experienced and the facilities look good. Also, Guadalajara is beautiful! But he is educated and accredited only in Mexico so I have no objective rating of his practices and performance.
Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta offers an excellent package also, and also seems to be an experienced surgeon with an excellent success rate. But he too, is educated and accredited only in Mexico.
For some reason, my stupid Ipad is covering up the 'search' function for Obesityhelp and so I can't check out what other people have written in the past. If you've had experience with any of these surgeons, would you please post about it - good or bad.
Guess my main question is "Is there a good reason to pay thousands of dollars more for Dr. Pompa?
Thanks to all of you.
(deactivated member)
on 6/19/13 10:37 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

When I was researching surgeons in Mexico, I did research on Dr. Pompa and Dr. Joya. I would NOT go to Dr. Pompa. She has given some patients in the past an  hourglass shaped sleeved or really large sleeves Some of them had to be re-sleeved by a different surgeon. I don't know if she has gotten better or not because this was a few years ago. I do NOT think she is worth thousands of dollars more.

Dr. Joya is excellent and has a top notch reputation. I know someone who went to him and has nothing but wonderful things to say!

I have never heard of Dr. Diaz so I can't comment.

passel
on 6/20/13 4:10 am
Thank you so much, CuriousKat. Your research has helped me confirm my decision to go with Dr. Joya. I had actually made some preliminary enquiries with Dr. Pompa and had a very unbusinesslike experience - website that didn't work; calls that weren't returned, etc. Her Canadien website is all about getting lots of cosmetic surgery so you can become Mrs Canada.
Ironic that the one Mexican bariatric center with a US Centre of Excellence rating for both the clinic and the surgeon has turned out to be the least reliable, at least in my case.
hollykim
on 6/20/13 10:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Of these three,I would also choose Dr. Joya. I have heard/read the same things about Dr/ Pompa and don't know anything bout  the other one and haven't seen a lot of reviews on him.

GL

charmedaz
on 6/20/13 10:47 am

I will be getting sleeved this coming Monday by Joya! I have followed him during my "wishing" phase over 10 years now...i see nothing but good things about him..excellent testimonials...how sweet he is in person, you name it, i communicate with gerald via email and he responds almost immediatly..i dont know if i could dedicate 24/7 to my job like he does even if its just on a phone/tablet with email open lol hes like the bionic assistant haha

passel
on 6/20/13 12:22 pm
Thanks so much, Charmedaz, Wishing you massive good luck on Monday. How exciting! Like you, I can't figure out how Gerald does it.
I will get mine done in October and will continue to hang out on this forum for good advice and support.
passel
on 6/20/13 12:18 pm
Tthanks, Holly. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Mary C.
on 6/21/13 5:36 am - Glovertown, Canada

If it makes anyone feel any better - I am an ER nurse x past 31 yrs. My husband had VSG with Dr. Joya in May. First class care and treatment all the way. Things couldn't have gone any smoother. And the hotel is freakin' AWESOME! Being a nurse - I was so aware and nosey about every aspect of my husbands surgery and after care - I even took pictures of the IV bags they hung and the labels on them. Anyway - everything was exactly as they said it would be. Good luck to those still in the planning stage!

passel
on 6/21/13 6:02 am
Oh, great! I will show your post to my doctor and nurse friends who are in favour of the surgery but concerned about quality of care in Mexico. Having this intensive report from another Canadian medical professional should tip the balance and settle the discussion once and for all. Hope your husband is doing well and losing lots of weight. Thank you very much.
rainyone
on 6/22/13 6:23 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

I'm a nurse here in Canada as well. I went to Mexico for my sleeve. I was very impressed with the nursing care, the level of sterility and the facility overall ( I went to Dr Ponce de Leon)

I wouldn't go to Dr Pompa and I don't know anything about Dr Giada;ajara . DR Joya was near the top of my list as well ( Dr Aceves, Dr Alverez, and Dr Ponce)

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views