What is the deal with passports??

Jennifer L.
on 6/13/13 1:56 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

So my husband and I are currently in a debate (or just flat out confused) on if we will need passports for Mexico. I thought I read people mention that we need passports. My husband (who has been to Mexico ALOT in his youth... last time he went was about 10 years ago) swears that we don't need a passport. He has an expired passport from all the traveling he did with his mom. Figuring out this passport thing could dictate how soon I can get my surgery. He doesn't think I will have an issue (I am very white, very blonde, very american looking haha). So I am not sure what to do! What do you guys think???

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Jennifer L.
on 6/13/13 10:06 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I guess the Mexico board isn't as active as others...haha 

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

IdahoGirl32
on 6/14/13 7:14 am

You must have a passport. You can get over the border without one, but they won't let you back in to the US if you don't have one. You can just pay $30 for the card version (which only works for Mexico and Canada), and that might be faster but you'll want to check with a passport office. But you will definitely need one. 

Jennifer L.
on 6/14/13 8:44 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

Thanks guys! I guess the laws have changed. This helps! 

Instagram

hollykim
on 6/15/13 4:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
The laws changed after 9/11. Yes I need a passport and he will have have his updated. I was just there 4 months and it as definitely checked. 10 years ago is a long time to insist nothing has changed.

christine500
on 6/15/13 1:19 pm

It takes a few weeks to get one, so make sure you get it in time for your surgery.

ksmithwoods
on 6/17/13 1:55 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 07/10/13

I just got my passport back.  It took 3 weeks with expedited service. I think it took a little more time since I changed my name. (married)  My husband sent his at the same time and got his back in 2 weeks.  He also did the expedited service.

Im all ready to go now.  Counting the days till my surgery.  July 10th

Kathy

Jennifer L.
on 6/18/13 12:04 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I just went to get my card yesterday and I should get it within 2-3 weeks. It was MUCH more than $30 though! Of course I expedited it, but the total cost was $135 for the card. If I got the pass book it would have been about $210. Some kind of processing fee jacked up the cost.

(Mini vent) I don't understand processing fee's! The cost of the freaking thing should be a processing fee.... I mean you can't get the darn thing without processing it... so why even have a "fee". That should only be a "fee" if you have the option to do something else! Ok, vent over.

Instagram

AmyInOrlando
on 6/19/13 8:34 am - Orlando, FL

I had a passport that expired 2 years ago.  I filled out the renewal form on line, printed it out, sent it with a check for $30 and my expired passport.  Got a new pic at Walgreens.  I didn't order a new passport, I just ordered the card.  No processing fee.  I think if you go to an "agency" they charge a fee.  The pic cost me  $11.71, the postage was $3.96 for certified mail..  The whole shebang was $45.67.  Hopefully I'll have it in about 4 weeks.  (that's what the guy told me at the post office).

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views