VSG With Dr Ponce. Trouble Getting Life Insurance. PLEASE READ

jax0601
on 6/6/13 1:35 pm - NV

Hello. I had a VSG with Dr. ponce De Leon in July 2012. All​ went well with the Dr., but I have had. a MAJOR issue that I want  prospective patients to be aware of.

In  December 2012, five months post VSG, I started the process of applying for life insurance. I contacted TRISH, Dr. Ponce's coordinator. She knew quite well that I am a Registered Nurse, and told me she would try to help me get copies of my VSG surgical notes AND hospital notes.  Many life insurance companies require this information. 

In the beginning, Trish seemed like she would assist me in getting this MUCH NEEDED information. Before long she started blowing me off. Shortly after that she ceased all correspondence with me. It has been 7 months and I still have been unsuccessful in getting any records. My Primary Care Dr. And several life insurance companies have also requested records . When they contact Dr. Ponce's office, they are told they have reached a "SPA". When stated that they are trying to reach the Dr. , they are given the phone number for Trish.  Trish will not return any calls to my  Dr or the insurance companies, and many written requests for records go unanswered.

With with the above being said, to this day I still have not been able to get life insurance. I really hope that Trish sees the grief she has caused me and I want to express how disappointed  I am in her. You know it's one thing if she cannot assist me in getting these notes, than she needs to be professional and let me know that.

I sure wish Dr. Ponce spoke English and that we could correspond directly with him. It is unfortunate that patients are treated this way.

Marianne

Mary C.
on 6/7/13 1:15 am - Glovertown, Canada

EXCELLENT post and everyone both pre and post op should be aware of issues that may come  up when looking for insurance coverage. My husband and I bought a house in the city where my son attends university. Our son lives there with housemates. Our application for mortgage life insurance was turned down due to the fact I had bariatric surgery the year before. We never saw that coming. We were told we could re-apply again in a year or so - if my health status remained unchanged. Food for thought - pardon the pun - an important issue for sure!

llLou
on 6/8/13 1:26 am - Halifax NS, Canada

This is another reason I'm so glad I chose Dr. Kelly. He speaks perfect English and encourages us to call him with any problems after surgery. I booked right through his office not a coordinator or company. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. 

I guess again it just shows after these companies and coordinators get their money they don't care.

hollykim
on 6/8/13 9:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Trish lost her phone and all her contacts in it about a month and a half ago. I can't speak to the time frame before that,but you might try calling her again now that she has her new phone.

you will have to tell her who you are and what you had and when because she has no contact info on her phone.

I was given a Cd of my surgery because the Mexican surgeons don't keep records like Us surgeons do.  there may not BE any operative report to be sent,IDK>

Just so you know,you would have likely had problems getting life insurance after a WLS until a  probationary period had passed,even if you had surgery in the US. That,at least,is what I have seen posted on other boards.

G

ood luck with it anyway.

jax0601
on 6/8/13 3:33 pm - NV

You say that Trish lost her phone 1 1/2 months ago? This issue has been going on since December, seven months ago. She is just ignoring any contact. She has not only ignored my TEXTS and EMAILS , she has ignored written requests from my PCP and several insurance companies. I am very disappointed in her professionalism !

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views