Dr. Ramos Kelly - Advice - Is there a better way to contact him?

IdahoGirl32
on 6/7/13 9:02 am

Thanks for the responses! It has made me far too nervous that the only patient care coordinator for Dr. Kelly is someone who can't even form complete sentences. I literally sent an email saying, "I have three questions..." then listed my questions and I receive a one sentence response that doesn't even fully address one of my three questions. These weren't even technical medical questions! Simple things like, "how do you want me to return these forms to you?"  I just wonder how many other potential clients Lora has scared off!! 

On a happier note, I expanded my search and came across Dr. Ariel Ortiz, whose office is apparently a center of excellence certified by a U.S. company. Plus he has videos all over youtube and lots of publicity. I figure someone who is so "out there" in the media probably has more to lose by doing a bad job and is going to be safer and more reputable. I think I"m going with Dr. Ortiz! If anyone's interested, his website is obesitycontrolcenter.com. If these people actually return my emails, I'll be a step further than I was before! 

christine500
on 6/7/13 2:30 pm
On June 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM Pacific Time, IdahoGirl32 wrote:

Thanks for the responses! It has made me far too nervous that the only patient care coordinator for Dr. Kelly is someone who can't even form complete sentences. I literally sent an email saying, "I have three questions..." then listed my questions and I receive a one sentence response that doesn't even fully address one of my three questions. These weren't even technical medical questions! Simple things like, "how do you want me to return these forms to you?"  I just wonder how many other potential clients Lora has scared off!! 

On a happier note, I expanded my search and came across Dr. Ariel Ortiz, whose office is apparently a center of excellence certified by a U.S. company. Plus he has videos all over youtube and lots of publicity. I figure someone who is so "out there" in the media probably has more to lose by doing a bad job and is going to be safer and more reputable. I think I"m going with Dr. Ortiz! If anyone's interested, his website is obesitycontrolcenter.com. If these people actually return my emails, I'll be a step further than I was before! 

I emailed Dr Ortiz before and his coordinator emailed me back very promptly.  She answered all questions in detail, and had links to various studies and statistics.  I remember seeing Dr Ortiz featured on Oprah or 60 minutes or something.  You may want to search youtube for that.

ksmithwoods
on 6/9/13 8:27 am - San Jose, CA
VSG on 07/10/13

I have had many emails from Lora as well as phone calls.  I have yet to wait more than 15 minutes for a reply.  I wanted to speak to Dr Kelly and did so.  I made an appointment.  It was really easy to do through Lora and Dr Kelly called me and spent 20 minutes and answered all my questions.  I dont know your particular cir****tances but I can say my experience with Lori has been excellent.  I would hate to think you would pass up a great surgeon because of a disappointing experience with a receptionist.  I feel certain I made the right choice to go with Dr Kelly and his staff.  Give them the chance to prove it to you.

Kathy

IdahoGirl32
on 6/9/13 10:37 am

I would hate that too, but where do I draw the line? I've been waiting over a week to get a simple question answered, "How do I return my patient questionnaire?" Other people have said Lora got back to them within 15 minutes - I haven't heard from her in a week and when she DOES email me, I get almost no information from her except a partial answer to one of my questions. 

I'm really glad other people have had a good experience with Dr. Kelly's office. I'm just not seeing it. :( 

Heather P.
on 6/12/13 12:19 pm

Dr. Kelly has several patient co-ordinators. one of whom is his wife and she is en RN.  I'm sorry to hear you've had troubles. I just returned today from Mexico to Canada. I love my whole experience with Dr Kelly. He has been practicing bariatric surgeries for 17 years. He has performed over 8000. I hope you can find the surgeon who is the perfect fit for you :). I know there are a few brokerage groups that maybe could help you feel more at ease and help you with your decision. Best of luck! :)

ksmithwoods
on 6/9/13 2:57 pm - San Jose, CA
VSG on 07/10/13

I scanned my questionaire and emailed it back.  Lora received it and passed it along to Dr Kelly.  Dr Kelly called me that same day with his questions.  I feel confident that I am in good hands.  I have my surgery in a couple of weeks. 

I would email Lora again and express your concerns.  I have found her to be very good to work with. 

Good luck with your search.

Kathy

troopersma
on 6/9/13 4:18 pm

I scanned and emailed back as well.   Have had prompt email responses from Lora (same day usually).  Occasionally she may not answer every question but usually pretty responsive.  I figure you gotta give some latitude for any language barriers.  Also figure how many emails/phone calls/etc she must get a day. 

I know his fees are a little higher than some others - but so far I've been impressed.  I'd rather pay a little more for quality...especially when it comes to my life.  LOL.  My Mom died due to medical error during surgery (sepsis secondary to a perforated bowel) so I'd rather pay more and be with someone I feel comfortable with.   The main risk with VSG is a leak and his leak rate (or lack thereof) is phenomenal. 

christine500
on 6/11/13 2:35 am

How much does Dr Kelly charge for a sleeve?  How does he compare to Dr Aceves?

Heather P.
on 6/12/13 12:23 pm

I believe he charges between 5200 and 5500 depending on the case.

divamc
on 6/13/13 12:52 am - Riverview, FL

I set my surgery with Dr. Kelly through MBC. I didn't care for the service I was getting with one coordinator, so I got another. Christy has been very patient with all of my questions and very persistent about getting me answers. She even gave me Dr. Kelly's direct number. Even with the little bump in the beginning, I'm glad that I chose Dr. Kelly.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views