Passport Question and did anyone go to Mexico alone?

daisies76
on 4/26/13 7:33 am

Thanks Kelly-Anne!  I will definitely do that. 

It makes me nervous that all of the tests are done the day before because I keep having this thought that what if they decide I cant have it done and I go all that way and paid the money for the passport, plane ticket, got time off work, got emotionally ready, etc. and then have to come right home.  I think thats what makes me nervous most. 

I hope that doesnt happen.  Have you heard of anyone getting turned away before? 

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/26/13 1:31 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The tests before surgery are pretty straightforward: standard blood work, urinalysis, chest X-ray and EKG. Things they need to know before proceeding, but that you'd be aware of before heading south, if that makes sense. For instance, if you had heart problems, but didn't tell them, surgery could be dangerous. So - they very sensibly check. If you were totally honest in your application for surgery I doubt there'll be any problem at all.

I've never heard of anyone being rejected at the last minute, but if someone didn't tell them about a major health issue that then showed up during the tests it could certainly happen.

Something else you can be doing now - buy a digital kitchen scale, dig out your measuring cups and start journaling your eating. (I use myfitnesspal) You'll find doing so hugely helpful after surgery, so why not learn the skills now? Don't fret about calories at the mo, just measure, record and aim for healthy choices and sufficient protein.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

daisies76
on 4/28/13 10:37 am

Oh no I was completely up front about all of my medical history, I would never jeopardize my health if there is an extra precaution I should take.  I think mainly what I am nervous about is if they find something I had no idea of.  Since I am a revision patient, Im afraid they may find something with my previous RNY that could cause an issue, like an ulcer or a fistula or something like that.  Something I had no idea of.  Id be afraid of something like this popping up at the last minute when I am scheduled to get the revision surgery the following day and then suddenly not being able to after coming all that way and getting my passport and getting the time off work, mentally preparing, plus traveling alone and then to go home empty handed ... 

Thats really what I mean. 

I have a little over a week to go.  Im leaving the 9th.  Scary stuff!!

gibson_girl
on 5/2/13 10:27 am
VSG on 04/22/13

I crossed the border on 4/26/13 in the medical pass lane with Dr Kelly's wife, enhanced drivers license and birth certificate only.  US border sternly asked me why I didn't have my passport, I told him because it was both expired and lost.  He asked where I was born, scanned my license with something and sent us on our way in about 5 minutes. 

I brought back a bunch of stuff (nothing controlled here) and I didn't really declare it.  Ooops.  All went well.  I figured since it was OTC in MX it wasn't a big deal.

Dr Ramos Kelly 4/22/13

Highest 263   Pre-op 252 Current 240

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views