Passport Question and did anyone go to Mexico alone?

daisies76
on 4/22/13 11:06 am, edited 4/22/13 11:08 am

So... I plan to apply for my passport tomorrow to have revision surgery with Dr. Aceves. (Band over Bypass)  I plan on paying the rushed fees to get it sooner. 

I was told by his office that as long as I have proof that I applied (receipt) and birth certificate and drivers license, etc that I can re-enter the US without the actual passport if it doesn't come in time.  Has anyone done this? 

I was also trying to decide how I will work out the details of my trip.  My husband wants to come with me, and I also really want him to, but he is in a new position at work and may not be able to get the time off, plus we don't have anyone to take care of our kids and I wanted to see if anyone has gone by themselves and how was it?  Do you need someone to come with you? 

I really prefer not to go alone, so I just have to figure out the childcare part...and really I shouldn't say CHILD care, as they are teenagers, so its just a matter of not wanting to leave them home to an empty house all to themselves.  :)

Thanks!! 

LVeronica
on 4/23/13 10:28 am

I went to Tijuana by myself.  I had absolutely no problems, and had no need for anyone else to be there with me.  Everything was taken care of for me by Mexico Bariatric Centers from the moment my plane landed in San Diego until they dropped me off at the airport for my trip home.   I walked around the neighborhood outside of the hotel and took cabs to some of the touristy sites without any problems or concerns.  Best of luck whatever you decide.

linzeelee
on 4/24/13 8:45 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I'm scheduled for VSG with Dr Aceves a week after you :) I'm also going alone.

As for the passport thing, I am not sure how you could get back across the border with proof you applied for a passport and your birth certificate, because they take and KEEP your birth certificate when you apply, and they send it back to you around when they send your passport. This kind of weirded me out. But I guess if you have a second certified copy of your birth certificate, you will be fine.

daisies76
on 4/24/13 10:17 am

Yes they do keep it and that weirded me out too.The post office told me that I should have it in time but it would be close.  Im only applying for the passport card since I wont be flying into mexico.. they said it will be close but I overnight shipped it and paid for rushed processing so I am hopeful.  I may ask to postpone my surgery a week since I just scheduled yesterday.  I will talk to their office. 

linzeelee
on 4/25/13 12:29 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I also got the passport card. I wasn't offered to have it overnight shipped, hmm. The lady wasn't even sure if I could rush the card and had to go look it up (I knew already that I could because I researched before I went, but she didn't want to believe me).

I scheduled with Dr. Aceves last week and at that time, they had the 17th and the 27th open with nothing in between, and I took a spot on the 17th...so I don't know if they will have a spot open a week later. But I have no idea how they do their scheduling.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I am also going to Mexicali alone. I have read about lots of other people who have done it, so I am not really worried. I think it will be a confidence building exercise as I am kind of scared to fly alone.

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/25/13 1:02 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
How old are your teens? If old enough to stay on their own but young enough that you want to stay in touch, both the hotel and the hospital have wifi, so you could Skype with them in the evenings.

If you do need to go on your own ask Nina to put you in contact with other patients ahead of time, so you'll have friends to hang out with while you're there. (I'm very social and spent too much time visiting and not enough walking. Just saying...)

The pharmacy where you'll buy your meds the day before heading home is in part of the hospital building (go out the front door and turn right) and they're VERY used to seeing patients wandering the streets in jammies and robes, so you can handle that if needed. The pharmacy takes MasterCard and undoubtedly Visa - call your CC company before you leave home to let them know you'll be shopping in Mexicali.

There's a very nice grocery store across the street from the hotel. (It's less scary to cross the road if you wait until after rush hour) we walked across and bought bottles of Mexican vanilla to bring home to a few friends.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

linzeelee
on 4/25/13 3:14 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Kelly-Anne, did you have any trouble bringing drugs and vanilla back across the border? I've read that you will be fine if you declare everything.

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/25/13 6:30 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had no trouble at all. The drugs you'll be bringing home are a PPI and a sub-lingual NSAID and the vanilla is no problem. (But very, very good and insanely cheap) The only restriction is that the vanilla has to go in your checked luggage when flying.

One tip - you'll be told you can have anything you like for your "last supper" at the hotel. There's an Italian restaurant upstairs in the hotel. Save room for the tiramisu.

daisies76
on 4/26/13 12:28 am

haha!

My son is 14 and daughter will be 17.   Ive decided to just go by myself and Ive already paid my deposit and reserved my ticket.  So May 10th it is!  Im a little nervous.  Ive never really done anything like this without my husband being there so I hope there will be other patients down at the same time that I can talk to.    I may get in touch with Nina to ask if she can share my info with others so maybe I can meet a couple people.

I just secured the surgery date on Monday or Tuesday of this week and they had the 10th pr 17th of May avail.  I think they may have had a cancelation on the 10th because she wasn't sure if it was avail and had to double check and get back with me

Cant wait to get it all over with!!

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/26/13 5:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm so happy for you!

If you don't exercise in some fashion yet start now - even if you have to start with a 10 minute walk. You want to be as strong and healthy as possible going into surgery - it'll make your recovery easier and faster.

Kelly-Anne

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views