Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta

Zube
on 4/17/13 12:41 am

Has anyone had surgery from a Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta?  All his recommendations online seem excellent, but I wanted some real opinions.  Anyone??

Mary C.
on 4/18/13 5:41 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi - my best friends daughter - in her 20's - had RNY with Dr. Joya a little over 2 yrs ago. A friend of hers 6 months later. No problems. Three other family members of the second girl - both men in their 40's, and a lady in her 30's have gone down and  had the gastric sleeve by Dr. Joya also - no problems. So that's 5 happy patients in my little corner of the world. Good luck! 

Zube
on 4/18/13 6:05 am

Thank you Mary.  I can see you are from Canada - me too!  Thanks for the input.  I think it may have tipped the scales for me!!

mamabaer
on 4/20/13 2:26 am - MO

I am in Vallarta right now.  Had my surgery last night at 8 pm.  I have been walking and was just given water.  I feel quite good. They do have me on pain meds but I am not sure i need them.  So far it has been a good experience.  Everyone is nice. Let me know if you have specific questions

Zube
on 4/20/13 3:12 am

Thank you very much for your reply.  How long did the surgery take?  Did you come from Canada or US - have any trouble with customs?  Did you have any trouble keeping up with the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior?  Did you cheat at all?  I really hope everything goes well for you.  Can you please send me updates, and let me know how you are doing.  I have booked with Dr. Joya in May, and I am quite scared.  Thank you so much.

mamabaer
on 4/20/13 3:57 am - MO

I was quite scared as well.  I questioned my decision over and over. The surgery took 45 mins.  And then in recovery for 1.5 hrs.  I am in the US.

I did not have customs issues.  

The pre op diet was hard especially day 5.  I drank protein drinks from SAMs, premier protein, and I ordered syntrax nectar, chocolate truffle,  both are good.  I would eat yogurt and ramen noodle spice packets for my broth whe I was hungry. I did not cheat . Which I think is helpful for not only during surgery but after because you can only have clear liquids for a week afterwards. The hardest part for me was no liquids at all the day before surgery and the day after. I drink a lot of water every day so not having any was difficult.  I lost 22 lbs on my pre op diet. Send me a message as you get closer and I can update you on my progress.

Zube
on 4/20/13 4:07 am

Thank you very much for talking to me.  Best wishes on your recovery, and the road to better health.  I look forward to hearing from you on your progress, and your weight loss.  Take Care -

Zube
on 4/30/13 1:21 pm

Hello Mamabaer - I was just wondering how you were doing?  I know you had surgery a week ago - was wondering how you have been doing since.  Have you been able to have more than just liquids yet? Any issues? How did you find your hospital stay and hotel stay?  Take Care - Zube

Mary C.
on 4/23/13 1:28 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there - I sent you a personal message on OH just then. I look forward to your reply!

Mary

MandyinTX
on 4/24/13 8:40 am

Hello, I have wanted to have gastric bypass for over 10 yrs.. we have tried insurance only to be told over and over again, that they do not cover this surgery. I am over 300 pounds, and hurt a lot, and have trouble catching my breathe.. I have to do something now, before this gets any worse. I have looked up Dr. Joya and I want to use him. I am at this time, collecting all the funds, and I am going down to have my surgery. It is so encouraging to hear of others who have used him. Because I am so scared of being scammed.

Please continue to share your experiences, it is so helpful. :)

Thank you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views