How do I convince husband that Mexico is not a bad place for VSG?

defygravity
on 4/4/13 12:14 pm - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

After years of talking about WLS with my husband, he finally sees how important it really is to me and is onboard for me getting it done.  We are self-pay because his company excluded bariatric surgery on our insurance.  He is way more comfortable doing it locally which will be $16,000.  After doing a lot of research, I am convinced that going to Mexico and having Dr. Aceves do a VSG for less than $10K (including airfare for 2) would make so much more sense.  I understand his concerns about aftercare but my PCP will do all of my necessary testing.  Of course, the whole "Mexico" safety thing is a concern of his.  I have tried to explain that it's in a safe place and that they pick you up from the airport and drop you back off so you don't have to go in on your own but he still is being stubborn.  I want to get this done ASAP so any help convincing him is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/4/13 3:00 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
There are certainly areas of Mexico I wouldn't go to, but Mexicali is quiet and safe. The hospital is 5 minutes from the border crossing - you can see the border fence from the hospital parking lot.

If you Google Mexicali you'll learn a lot that'll help your hubby relax. It's as close as you'll get to "first world" in Mexico. Low unemployment, good quality of living and high level of education. A surprisingly high percentage of the people you meet will speak at least some English, with the young people having minimal accent.

An interesting thing that we were told - the reason it's safe is there's only 1 drug cartel there - so no fighting. Whether true or not, we found the people pleasant and helpful, the hospital extremely clean and well run and the care exceptional.

The hotel you spend the night before surgery in is very nice - I highly recommend the Italian restaurant upstairs for your "last supper." Save room for dessert - the tiramisu is amazing! There's a big grocery store across the road from the hotel where I bought bottles of vanilla to bring home to friends.

While you're recovering he can get tasty meals in the hospital cafeteria or walk across the street to the Chinese restaurant. (Excellent food but HUGE servings - tell him to hook up with another support person) If you go out the front door of the hospital, turn left and walk 2 blocks there's a 7/11, which somehow makes you feel more comfortable. The pharmacy takes MasterCard. There's an ATM around the block if you need one. (Out the front door, turn right, turn right)

If it isn't too hot you'll be encouraged to walk outside. Nobody even blinks as you walk around the block in your jammies and robe. (With your hubby, of course)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

pattiashcraft
on 4/5/13 4:47 am - Rosharon, TX

I completely understand what you are going through, I am almost FINALLY getting my husband on the 100% ok :)

I have sent him all the information that I have found myself, I am actually looking at Dr. Lopez with ALighter Me.  It's in Tijuana.  But I've heard from so many people that no one will mess with you, you are safe, there is a driver with you all the time.

I am looking to book my surgery on May 24th.

Message me if you want to chat or discuss more :)

Good Luck!

serenity1959
on 4/5/13 2:12 pm
VSG on 08/05/13

Oh, my goodness, your message could have come from me, except that it is my insurance that excludes WLS.  I feel the same way you do and my DH feels as yours does.  I am hopeful that I will be able to have the surgery in August.   (I would like it done TOMORROW but need a bit of time to save up a bit more money, etc.)  Good luck!   Keep us posted, please.

hollykim
on 4/8/13 1:12 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Actually,WLS is excluded on your insurance because your employer didn't buy the coverage,so in effect,it is your/your spouses employer who has excluded WLS by not buying a rider for it to be covered.

GL

LVeronica
on 4/6/13 1:59 am

I went by myself to Tijuana.  I never felt unsafe.  I took a taxi to the beach and to shop on Revolution Avenue.  I walked every day about half a mile to the Walmart near the Marriott.  Take normal precautions.  Don't flash a lot of cash (you won't need it), don't wear a fur or expensive jewlery, dress modestly.  Keep valuables in the hotel and hospital room safe.  If you are not sure if something you want to do is safe ask the hotel staff.     

defygravity
on 4/6/13 5:38 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

OMG!! I am so excited!  After reading him your replies and reading him an article about Dr. Aceves and not being able to find any negative reviews on him, my husband has agreed that going to Mexicali for the surgery makes sense.  He still wants to talk to the surgeon here to ask questions about the procedure and talk to my PCP to make sure she is on board with it, but if everything here works out, we are hoping to be able to schedule for the first part of July.  It is such a huge weight off (haha) not having to convince him that Mexico is a good decision for us.  I really, really hope it all works out for me.  I have an appt with a local surgeon on 4/12/13 and will schedule an appt for my PCP this week.  Let the nerves kick in!  Nevermind the fact that I just did our taxes and we owe a whole lot more than we were thinking, but this is for my health for the rest of my life... totally worth it!!  Thank you guys so, so much for the help and encouragement!

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

SuzaQue
on 4/13/13 11:10 pm - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

My husband was very skeptical too.  But to begin with I wanted to get RNY.  As we talked (argued), I came to realize that was the biggest stumbling block so I researched and decided to go with the sleeve.  He was still hesitant, I gave him all the paperwork that the Dr's office sent me.  He also knew that my mind was made up.  We went on 4/6 and I am doing great!  I hear him now tell people about the trip and surgery....no keeping it a secret for me LOL....and he was nothing but good things to say.  He was very impressed with the hospital, the staff, Drs Aceves and Campos, my room and even the cafeteria.  You can always PM me and we can let the husband talk via email. 

Good luck!!!!

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views