Considering Mexico for surgery...

Tiffany82583
on 4/3/13 12:49 am - CA
Insurance excludes Bariatrics so I've been on a quest to find alternative ways to get my surgery and was informed Lots of people who have to self pay go to Mexico. Long story short I live in California so I'm pretty close to Mexico but was wondering how much it costs for surgery there and who is the best doctor to have do the sleeve?
llLou
on 4/3/13 1:10 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I went for my VSG with Dr. Ramous Kelly in TJ. in Nov. 2012. It was an excellent experience. They picked us up at our hotel in San Diego and drove us across the border to TJ. I spent 3 nights at the hospital(The Oasis of Hope) and 3 nights at the beautiful Lucerne Hotel where Dr. Kelly visits you daily. My friend stayed in my hospital room with me. There is a bed in your room for your companion. Dr. Kelly is a great surgeon. He is kind, considerate and very easy to talk to. He was born in the US and speaks perfect English Dr. Kelly and his staff are top notch!.My friend is a nurse and was also impressed with the hospital and care.

Please message me with any questions. I have his direct office numbers if you need them. You can talk directly to him when he's not busy.

Good luck

llLou
on 4/3/13 1:12 am - Halifax NS, Canada

Sorry I stayed 2 nights at the hotel not 3. They also drive you back to San Diego.

dkandsm
on 4/3/13 9:53 am, edited 4/3/13 4:53 pm - Alvin, TX
My insurance excludes bariatric surgery, as well. I live in Texas, within an easy drive to Mexico, but the prices in Tijuana were better than those in Mexico closest to Texas, even after paying airfare.

I am having surgery on May 1st with Dr. Ismael Cabrera and Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela. While I'm not personally familiar with these doctors, I have read positive reviews from others who have used them.

I am going through Medical Tourism Co. and have been very pleased so far. The package included accommodations at the Pueblo Amigo hotel, but I will be staying at the Marriott there in Tijuana for an extra $30/night. The price for my surgery was quoted at $4,500, but will be a little more due to the hotel change. I will fly into San Diego and will be met by a driver who will then drive me across to Tijuana. I will stay at the Marriott for 2 days post op. Once I am ready to go home, the driver will take me back to the airport in San Diego.

I am excited, but also super nervous!
maddiegab
on 4/7/13 9:27 am - Pearland, TX

I am considering surgery in Mexico and am located in your area also. I would like to keep in contact with you to know about you experience, I found Endobariatric near Eagle Pass Texas. Did you consider them? Why did you choose your surgeons?

dkandsm
on 4/7/13 9:58 am - Alvin, TX
It would be great to have someone in my area to keep in touch with.

I came into this whole ordeal pretty clueless. I went through Medical Tourism Co. and it was through them that I learned about the surgeons I am going with. I began researching the surgeons and came across this forum. When I was ready to pay my deposit to schedule my surgery in TJ, I learned about Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras.

I did request information and heard back from a nurse who had surgery with Dr. Alvarez. The biggest deciding factor was cost. With airfare figured in, I am still paying less in TJ than what I would be with Dr. Alvarez.

After reading positive experiences from people who have used the surgeons I am going with, I feel confident with my decision. I know people are satisfied with Dr. Alvarez, as well, though.
maddiegab
on 4/8/13 8:42 pm - Pearland, TX

I did hear back from Dr. Alvarez's nurse but like you cost is a big factor. I like the convenience of them being so close though. Who was your coordinator at Medical Tourism Co?  Have you started a pre-op regimen? How far out do they schedule?  Are you working with your PCP here for follow up?

dkandsm
on 4/8/13 11:24 pm, edited 4/8/13 11:25 pm - Alvin, TX

My coordinator with Medical Tourism Co. is Hazel Ramos.  She is really nice and is quick to answer any questions I might have.  I have been very pleased, so far.  I'm not sure how far out they schedule, but I'm sure it's a few months in advance.  The doctors schedules do start to fill up rather quickly, from what I was told.

I start my pre-op diet regimen tomorrow.  I will be on the "liver shrinking diet" for three weeks prior to surgery.   The diet consists of low-carb protein shakes and bars, totaling up to 40-50 net carbs a day.  Tomorrow, it will really start to sink that I AM actually going to have surgery!

I don't have a PCP here.  I am under the care of an endocrinologist (for hypothyroidism), although she is unaware that I am having surgery.  I figure if I have any real problems, I will go to the ER and go from there.  It is something that concerns me, however, as I have read that many doctors do not want to treat patients who have had surgery in Mexico.  The ER can't turn one away, so at least there's always that option.

Have you thought about a surgery date, yet?

maddiegab
on 4/9/13 12:59 pm - Pearland, TX

I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply. My schedule sometimes gets crazy. Thanks for the info and good luck with the pre-op diet. I know you can do it. I have been trying to eat more protein and less carbs myself. Email anytime you need encouragement. I was thinking of having surgery in late June/early July. But I am still deciding.

dkandsm
on 4/12/13 9:04 am - Alvin, TX

Oh, no problem.  Eating low carb can be so difficult, but so beneficial.  Let me know what you decide, surgery wise, and I will keep you updated on myself.  Thanks for the encouragement; it is greatly appreciated. :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views