To those who have had VSG Complications once you are back in the states....

acpme42
on 3/26/13 10:02 am

I am considering having the VSG with Dr. Aceves here shortly and am trying to do all my research.  My question is where do you go for care if you have had complications with your VSG after you get back to the states?  I have a friend who is scaring me to death saying that no surgeon will want to touch me if  the surgery was done in Mexico, that I will have to play out of pocket, etc..  She said that I would have to go to the ER.   I am going to talk to my PCP about doing the post-op blood work and X-Rays at 3, 6, and 12 months and hope he will agree to it.  I just don't know where I would go for serious complications and not be stuck with the bill myself.

To make it clear, I have coverage for the VSG, but my husband will be changing jobs before I can fit in all the appts., so I have opted to go to Mexico.

Thank you for your help!

Ssarose123
on 3/26/13 2:26 pm - AZ

I am having the same issues. I called my PCP and she said she will not see me for anything related to the surgery and that if I need anything I will have to go to ER because they can't turn me away. I'm hoping to find a doctor who understands and will help me along the way. Any ideas? I'm in Gilbert Az.

acpme42
on 3/26/13 11:24 pm

I did some research last night on this forum, and one woman wrote that her husband had the surgery and that b/c it was done outside the country, when a complication did arise, his insurance company would not pay for it.    

I think my PCP would agree to post-op care (blood work and X-rays) but for complications, I don't know how that would work.  I think I am going to call some bariatric surgeons here today and see if one would be willing to see me in case of complications.  Also, I will probably call my insurance company to see what they have to say.  I have three young children and do not want to risk our financial future if something should happen.

As for you, I think you should call around and see if you can find a PCP willing to do post-op care for you.  I would imagine that if you met with one personally and told them your story, they might take you on?

I really hate all this red tape when all I want to do is get healthy for my family.  I even have my surgery booked and have sent in the $500 registration fee!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted....

SuzaQue
on 3/29/13 2:39 pm - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

So it will be considered a pre-existing condition and we won't be discriminated against.  It is discrimination, the procedure isn't covered and I don't have $30k to go to a doctor here.  I have a band that needs to come out which was put in here in the U.S. but when I called around, all the offices wanted $500 just for me to walk in the door, then I would have to pay all the other cost as well!  Phooey!!!

browneyedDeeva
on 4/22/13 9:39 am - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
hi ,
i had a vsg done may 26th 2010 by Almanza . 3 years later im back to where i was before the surgery . just 1 month ago i decided to go see a surgeon to see what happened and no one would take me . thank God by brother is a P.A in nj. he knows the director of bariatrics. long story short i brought my xray to him and he said Almanza left the whole fundis in . so there was no restriction and thus gained weight back .
i paid out of pocket and sooooooooo pissed off . luckily my husband has great coverage now and im having surgery on may 3rd . 2 options were to either clean up and trim what Almanza didnt do or have a bypass i decided to do the bypass because i feel i need the extra ( malabsorbtion)
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views