Scared of Tijuana hotel!

gloriouslori
on 3/5/13 5:05 am
Hi there. I'm very seriously looking into getting WLS in Mexico as I just can't afford to do it in the US. I'd like to get it in Tijuana since I live in CA and feel more comfortable with a shorter distance of travel. However, I'm scared to stay in a Mexico hotel! Does anyone know of a good doctor in Tijuana that puts you up in a San Diego hotel? Or can anyone give me more info on a Tijuana doctor and hotel that will make me feel more comfortable about the process? Thanks

LVeronica
on 3/6/13 12:43 am

I stayed in the Tijuana Marriott, which is located in a very nice neighborhood.  The hotel was first class.  Keycard elevator operation.  Safe in the room for your valuables.  Impeccable service.  Taxi service from the door.  In addition I went to the ocean and walked on the beach, shopped on Revolution Avenue, and walked half a mile to the local Walmart and Grocery store at least once a day.  I went by myself and never felt nervous at all.   My surgery was scheduled through MexicoBariatricCenter with Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela with Dr. Garcia assisting. 

gloriouslori
on 3/6/13 8:23 pm
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a mini vacation I was considering Dr. Ortiz but maybe I should look more into the Mexico Bariatric Center.

If you had to do it all over again, would you chose the same doctors?
LVeronica
on 3/7/13 9:42 am

I have no complaints about the surgeons or the facilities or the accomodations.  I really liked the anesthesiologist, but I forgot his name.  The night coverage doctors seemed very competant and accomodating and spoke excellent English.  I was a very easy low risk patient: no medical problems, no pervious abdominal surgery, and only moderately obese.   My sister's American surgeon had only done weight loss surgery on 200 patients when she had her surgery here in the USA.  Drs. Cabrera and Valenzuela state that they have done over 2000 cases.  I would have no qualms about choosing MexicoBariatricCenter and Dr. Cabrera and Valenzuela again.   

lucasnlaken
on 3/12/13 11:33 am - Santa Rosa Beach, FL
VSG on 08/12/13

Headed there with same using same doctors on April 11

gloriouslori
on 3/17/13 8:32 am
Hi there! Congrats in your upcoming surgery! Will you be staying at the Marriot? I've made my appointment for April 12 with Dr. Ortiz and will be staying at the Marriot. I'm so excited!
SerendipityHappens
on 3/17/13 5:58 am

I also booked through MBC for surgery with Cabrera/Valenzuela and am currently recovering at the Marriott.  I wouldn't change a thing. I'm very happy that I chose these doctors and there is absolutely NOTHING to be worried about with the hotel. It's VERY nice and I've been out walking outside with no apprehension.

llLou
on 3/6/13 1:08 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I went to Dr. Kelly in Nov. 2912. He is with The Mexico Bariatric Center.

We stayed at the beautiful and safe Lucerne Hotel. I see they are using the Marriott now which looks great. You can goggle it.

I sent you a personal message'.

baydoll
on 3/12/13 4:04 am - Ottawa, Canada

Have you thought about going to a resort area where surgery would be performed in a hospital instead of a clinic. I'm not certain how much more it would cost. I went to Puerto Vallarta for surgery and I go there regularly to vacation and I always feel safe. Contact me if you would like more info.

Doreen

gloriouslori
on 3/13/13 9:58 pm
I'm from California so its much cheaper for me to travel to Tijuana. I have limited money and will be paying for my friend's travel expenses as well. I've vacationed in Puerto Vallarta several times, it's beautiful, but I wouldn't be able to afford the airfare. I didn't want to make my decision based solely on money, and since there are so many great doctors in Tijuana, I don't feel like I'm doing that. It's not just Tijuana that scares me, I think my fear is stemming from having it done so far from home and how to deal with any complications. Where would I go? How would I pay for additional care? If there's an issue that needs immediate attention, I can't fly back to Tijuana. I'd have to get care here and would anyone even help me here since I had surgery in Mexico? Lol...this is all the stuff running through my head!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views