Shopping in Mexicali?

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 10:38 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
We'll have a few hours of free time after pre-op testing and will be staying at Hotel Lucerna. Is there close, safe shopping nearby? We'd be looking for small gifts for family and vanilla for a friend.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

darlynn
on 2/16/13 11:43 pm - Appleton, WI

Did you have complications with your first surgery?  I am just wondering as Dr. Acevez is on the list of surgeons I am looking into for my revision from band to RNY.  Hope you have a wonderful and safe time!

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/17/13 12:02 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Not at all! My surgery went pretty much perfectly. I'd recommend Dr Aceves and his team to anyone.

I'm flying down with a friend as her support person in 2 weeks.

darlynn
on 2/17/13 4:09 am - Appleton, WI

Good to hear!  How was the hotel and the hospital?  That is awesome that you are supporting your friend... I am going alone and scared out of my wits!

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/17/13 5:40 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Aww. When are you going? Hey - my friend's surgery is on March 1st - if yours is at the same time you'll have 2 nice people to hang out with.

The hospital looks like a regular emerg or clinic when you arrive for your tests. The hotel is very nice, with a lovely garden area and outdoor pool. It was 45C when we were there, so we didn't linger outside. Our room was spacious and attractive, with a desk for me to sit at while I slugged through a VERY detailed medical history.

When we checked into the hospital early the next day our rooms were more like small hotel rooms than what I picture when I think hospital room. There was the usual bed of course, with a bedside table, a leather chair for me and a leather sofa and bedding for Barry. I had my own small bathroom with shower, and a sink in the main room for hand washing.

Both the hotel and the hospital have good wifi, so we were able to keep in touch with friends and family while there.

llLou
on 2/17/13 7:59 am - Halifax NS, Canada

We went to revolution Ave. the whole street had shops. Dr. Kelly's coordinator drove us there. I know people who have taken cabs there. We had no problems it was safe. Remember to bargain. we went shopping the 2 days after surgery when we were at the Lucerne. We even went to Costco just to see what it was like( the same as here), I bought some nice silver jewelry at the shops on Revolution Ave but i definitely bartered with them.

darlynn
on 2/17/13 8:27 am - Appleton, WI

Darn Kelly-Anne... If I go with Dr. Acevez my surgery will be April 1st ( i just realized that is April Fools Day ). She is checking to see if they would be able to even do that with the staff being off on Easter Sunday.  I am still teetering on going with Dr. Alejandro Lopez but even though I have been approved through them for the surgery... they have not gotten back to me on available dates yet.  Since I am going alone it is tempting to go to Puerto Vallarta so that the ocean and beach can divert my attention while I am healing... and it is less expensive as well.  The flights are twice as expensive but the surgery itself would be 4,000.00 less.  San Javier hospital is also new and the hotel they use is really beautiful.  I have yet to hear any horror stories about Dr. Alejandro Lopez and see a number of people that have posted really good things about him.  Decisions.. decisions.  I think I will just have to sit back and wait for more information from each. 

I could use a vacation and pairing it with a revision... priceless!  Hope all goes well... please be sure to post how everything goes! 

albertamom
on 2/20/13 11:03 pm

Good question!!!! LOL I am ready !!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?