Thinking about traveling to Mx, BUT....

SanchezM0126
on 2/13/13 11:35 am - Orlando, FL
I'm so confused...
My name is Marla from Orlando. Fl. I am finally looking into having some type of bariatric surgery but still haven't decided which one..
One thing I know for sure is that it will be in Mexico due to $$$$ . I cannot believe the difference in prices (for self pay). Its about a $7,000 to $10,000 difference : /
I have many questions, and really would appreciate your response
*which surgery has a "better" outcome and would you recommend?
* I have family in Monterrey,Mx. Any one familiar with a good Dr there?
* How do you go about the "followups" or routine check ups? for instance the lap band, would you need to travel back and forth for the saline adjustments , or when you get the bypass I heard routin bloodwork is recommended due to vitamin defeciency, Can an US dr do these follow up appointments and needed labs and tests?
llLou
on 2/14/13 2:35 am - Halifax NS, Canada

i went to Tijuana in November and had the VSG with Dr. Kelly. It was the best decision I have ever made. He is a fantastic surgeon. I spent 2 days in the Florence Oasis Hospital and 2 days at The Lucerne Hotel .A very positive experience. Absolutely no pain. they give you pain meds every 6 hours in your Iv. After being discharged i required no pain meds. My cost was $5,700. It did not include my flight to San Diego where they pick you up and drive you across the border.

Feel free to message me with any questions. I would not recommend the band. Too many people are having them removed now.

SanchezM0126
on 2/15/13 10:53 am - Orlando, FL
thanks, I am still reading and doing research in all the differnt types of WLSurgeries, I know the doctors will recommend what he thinks is best but I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.
Kelly-AnneH
on 2/16/13 1:39 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had VSG done by Dr Aceves in Mexicali in June.

I chose VSG because I didn't want my innards rerouted (with permanent vitamin and mineral malabsorption) and the whole idea on a band creeped me out. I also wanted the option of taking NSAIDs for my arthritis and only VSG allows that.

Long term the VSG and RNY have about the same amount of weight loss, the band significantly less. Aftercare for VSG is the least, and can easily be done by my family doctor.

I like he fact that I'm just normal - with a fully functioning stomach that happens to be small , so small portions and eating slowly are natural for me - and hunger is no longer the monster it used to be.

My VSG set me free.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

its-killen-me
on 2/20/13 1:23 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I had the duodenal switch with Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon in Tijauana.  All is good.   Do some research on DS forum and also on dsfacts,com.     You can also read my blog.  You may need to add me as freind to message me if you need info, not sure.  Barb

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
6penningtons
on 2/25/13 12:20 pm - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I also had the DS, but used Dr. Lopez.  The DS also allows you to have NSAIDS, but has the very best long-term weight loss results.  Feel free to message me for more info!

DS in Mexico was a great decision for me!

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views