Dr Aceves on Jan 5th!

gloomingloo
on 12/7/12 2:37 am, edited 12/7/12 2:43 am

I just sent in my deposit, so it's official. Aah, I'm very nervous! On one hand, I would be so angry at myself if I gave myself some permanent health problem (worse than obesity) because of this...

Yet, I feel like this is the only way to get my life back from this obsession I have with food.

I know no one in my family/no friends would approve of doing this/would try to talk me out of it/would generally make my life miserable, so I'm not telling any of them. They don't get why I simply don't stop eating, so they won't get this. This is my secret. It's very isolating, but I don't have an alternative.

That said, it would be kind of nice to connect with some people here just in case.

on 12/7/12 6:42 am

Best wishes, all will be well laugh We are one big family here

VSG TO DS REVISION 

ellie_kae
on 12/8/12 2:15 am, edited 12/8/12 10:17 am
Hi gloomingloo,

Your words resonated with me so much - all of it. They could just as easily be my words.

I have surgery with Dr. Aceves on 12/20. It all happened so fast. I inquired about their process last Sunday, sent medical forms on Monday, I was approved on Tuesday, bought airplane tickets on Wednesday, and mailed my deposit on Thursday. This all happened last week! It feels like a dream. I am doing the pre-op diet for two weeks instead of one (my choice). I need to focus on getting items I need post-op and have bought some Isopure, it's priced quite reasonably at Lucky Vitamins online.
I am not telling anybody either. Nobody would support me and they would think I was crazy for going to Mexico. My husband and one friend know and that's it.

I do have great insurance that covers this but I don't want to go through all the time-consuming red tape for an approval. I want it now so I am self-pay.
(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 4:08 am

I'm with you guys! I'm scheduled with Aceves on Jan 18th. I also have not told a single soul because of the lack of support. It's nice to have an OH family for support and advice!

beach_mama
on 12/17/12 7:37 am
VSG on 08/16/12

It was a quick process for me as well after making the initial call.  I wanted it done when I was on vacation in August and they accomodated me.  I only told my hubby, kids and two other friends as well.  I've only told a handful since and going to keep it that way.  I don't want to be judge or have anyone treat me differently.

Good luck with your surgery!  You'll love Dr. Aceves and Campos...they're wonderful.

Karens62
on 12/8/12 9:56 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I'm tentatively scheduled for the end of February as I have some work projects I want to finish up so I'll be a few weeks behind you all, so will be watching your progress closely!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/12/12 11:07 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Dr Aceves is wonderful and you'll be amazed at the level of care you'll get. There are a few things I'd suggest:
Make a couple of copies of the cheat sheet they sent you. You WILL need it.
2 piece jammies are your friend. The nurses are very professional, but not all female. Since they'll need to check your drain every few hours you'll be more comfortable in 2 piece jammies.
Once you get to have liquids - apple juice will taste terrible. Ask for bottled water and dilute it - it'll be much easier to get down.
Take portable music and earbuds to make walking less boring. The more you walk the better you'll feel.
GasX strips are wonderful - after you're allowed to drink.
Everything you will need will fit in a carry-on with wheels. Trust me.

Packing list:
Cheat sheet
2 sets light jammies
Light robe
Slippers
Fresh unders for the trip home (wear the same outfit you arrive in)
Prescription meds (Dr Campos will tell you when you can take them)
Tooth and hair care stuff - travel size
GasX strips (work better than tablets)
Biotin spray (put where you can easily reach it from the bed)
Cell phone & charger
iPad/tablet/laptop - both hotel and hospital have wifi
Extension cord
Passport
Modest amount of cash for tips and supper the night before surgery
Snack for after tests - a small bag of nuts works well
Book or magazine
Stuffie (I may have taken a pink stuffed rabbit with me...)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Snow_White_39
on 12/21/12 1:11 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 04/30/12

Good for you for taking charge and making the decision. It's your life and you have to do what you feel is best for you, regardless of how others would perceive the surgery. I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves & Dr. Campos in April... if you're interested in more info, friend me and we can chat.

Karens62
on 1/1/13 11:35 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Are you all packed yet? Let us know how you do!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views