Agonizing Decision- Surgery at Home vs Mexico

becks856
on 11/12/12 3:49 pm

I am trying to decide for surgery at home in US 14K vs Mexico with Dr. Aceves 8750K plus airfare etc will end up being close to 10 K for me and my companion when all said and done.  My family wants me to stay in the states.  My physician at home is good but not as experienced as Dr. Aceves and I get only one hospital night.  I am freaking out.  HELP.

mnmommaof2
on 11/13/12 1:52 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I think alot of us on the Mexico board have had the same issue.  For me, sleeve was upwards of 45,000 in Minnesota and if I were to travel somewhere less expensive right around the 14-15,000 mark without airfare.  I decided to go with Aceves because not only was the price right, but he had so much more experience than the American doctors I could afford.

I also felt uneasy with the outpatient/recover in a hotel room scenario.  This is major surgery and I feel as though I should be monitored after surgery.  Not just a couple phone calls checking up on me. (Aceves is three nights in a hospital.)

When I first brought this up to my husband and my family they were really hesitant, and looked at me like I was nutso.  But after I shared all my research with them they grew more comfortable with the idea, and now are supportive.

I leave for Mexico in 9 days and couldn't be more excited. 

Just remember that you don't have to make this decision overnight-- look at all the options and go with the one that feels right.  In the end the most important thing is that you are confidant you made the right choice.

Best of luck to you!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

llLou
on 11/14/12 1:42 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

I just returned from TJ Mexico where I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly. No problems what so ever. I was 2 days in hospital and 2 days in a beautiful safe hotel where we were visited by Dr. Kelly daily and driven anywhere we wanted to go by his coordinator. The surgery here is very expensive so the money decision was easy and I had met Dr. Kelly prior to going to Mexico and knew people who had used him.

I have read good things about Dr. Aceves also. Dr. Kelly was $5,700. plus air fare. Some months he has specials. This was not a special.

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/12 10:55 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Dr. Aceves has probably among the top reputations on this forum! There are so many people who have gone to him! I would have gone to him myself if I could have afforded his price tag! Good luck on your surgery!

rainyone
on 11/21/12 2:16 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

Dr Aceves is amazing from what I read. He is one of the top surgeons for this surgery.  Personally for that cost I would go to mexico.  I went with Dr Ponce de Leon even though my surgery would have been paid for in Canada. I felt better having a surgeon with more experience .

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

SerendipityHappens
on 11/25/12 9:36 am

When in doubt go with the better and more experienced surgeon.... and if you can save yourself four grand and get more hospital time in the process, then Woot Woot!

jjldh_va
on 11/26/12 5:29 am
VSG on 10/09/12 with

I agree... go with experience.  Dr. Alvarez (similar in level of experience to Dr. Aceves, but I liked Dr. Alvarez training and location better) was more experienced with the sleeve, I had 3 days in the hospital, and in this are the doc's had only done a hundred or so of the sleeve compared with Dr. Alvarez's thousands of procedures...

If I had not found such a good doctor in Mexico, I do not think I would have gone.  I did however, and I have had NO problems!  I would however advise you to make sure you have follow up care in the US before you go... just in case of any issues.

~JJ~    Surgery w/ Dr. Alvarez on Oct 9 2012  ~ HW 300?? ~ SW280.0 ~ CW 217.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views