Post surgical follow up care

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 4:06 am

So I met with my primary care provider today and discussed my plans for a VSG in Mexico. He is not supportive but is agreeable to help me with the aftercare bloodwork and xrays. I chose to ask him because I called 3 local surgeons and they all would not help me with the aftercare. Between the lack of support and recent denials, they really made me second guess my decision and rained on my parade.

How did you handle the aftercare? Because I am not using a local bariatric center, I don't have a good support system in place. I've already booked appointments with a counselor and nutritionist. What else am I missing?

Mary C.
on 11/7/12 4:19 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi There - I am in Canada - not sure if you are or not. My family doctor was on board with me - and she is who I see for regular blood work etc. You have a nutritionist and counselor lined up. So you are in good shape. In the event of a complication - or problem - you would end up going to your local ER I imagine - and providing you have health insurance - they will look after you I'm pretty sure. I know here in Canada that would happen. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 4:50 am

Thanks for the reply Mary. Its nice to hear that others have gotten appropriate aftercare and that I'm on the right track with what I've already lined up. I'm in the US and yes, if there is an emergency I would go to the ER and they legally have to provide me with care.

I guess what is also bothering me is how unsupportive my doctor was, just because I'm choosing to go to Mexico. I really feel that I have researched all of my options and found a great surgeon. I guess I have to trust my decision and know that I have done the footwork to make a well informed decision..

mnmommaof2
on 11/7/12 11:02 am
VSG on 11/23/12

Just know that you have done your research and are comfortable with your choices-- that's what matters most.  Your doc.. although educated.. has most likely never heard of your surgeon.  It takes a while to get comfortable with the idea of medical tourism.  Don't let him rain on your parade... You accomplished some really big steps!  Sounds like you established aftercare for the post-op tests, found a counselor and NUT...  That's huge! ( And most MX surgeons have fantastic aftercare already in place checking up on you via email with their NUT).  Congratulations! 

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views