thinking about surgery and pre op in mexico

mnmommaof2
on 10/26/12 2:47 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I had the same reaction when it came to telling my family about my plans to have surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexico.  Initially they were not pleased.  I gave them a little time to get used to the idea and the shared my research about my surgeon and the hospital and comparing them to my options here in the states as a self-pay patient.  Now they are really supportive and agree this was the best choice for me.  Good Luck! 

crstalww
on 10/27/12 3:42 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
I'm in totonto a d the wait time is six months . I was referred in may and I'm having surgery nov 6

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

pineview01
on 10/28/12 1:21 pm - Davison, MI

Just curious why the big difference in the wait time in the different province Canada?  Seeing 6 months to 20 years.  All I know is I'm indebted to all you Canadians for doing all the work, research and weeding out the lesser surgeons for us.  I have been reading here and on the Canadian boards research, struggles and journeys.  If I lose the battle with the insurance company I will be putting all to use to head to Mexico.

I think I have my DH's support.  With him it isn't about the money.  He knows if the insurance does pan out I will be going to Mexico for the PS.  He just isn't sold on Mexican medical  care.  He will come around but my kids just look at me weird.

I have started to see US centers coming in close to the higher priced Mexican centers lately though

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

shutterfly
on 10/30/12 6:34 am - vancouver, Canada

It's different because our provinces are in charge of regulating the finances of healthcare for the citizens of that province.

Since our provinces are in charge of the healthcare system, we are not covered to travel to one part of the country and seek medical services without charge. I would not be covered to have medically covered bariatrics surgery in another province.

Also, in BC there are currently 4 doctors that are authorized to give medically covered bariatrics surgery. So that's a WHOLE lotta waiting for medically covered surgery! And that is why I will get my first consult in 2 years and surgery in another 1 or 2 after that.

Hopefully your insurance goes through! I've been bringing up the idea to friends again, but their reaction is still the same. They think I just need to work on my fitness more, it's more than that. We'll see...

pineview01
on 10/30/12 3:18 pm - Davison, MI

Thank You for the info shutterfly.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

DarioM
on 11/3/12 10:47 pm

I had Gastric Sleeve surgery with Dr Aceves on August 15th and have lost 91 lbs to-date. My pre-op was liquid protein shakes and was very successful. My experience with Dr Aceves and his team in Mexicali was wonderful -- I highly recommend him. For all the details on my surgery check my website theroadtomexicali.com -- I believe you will find it very helpful. Good luck!

6penningtons
on 11/13/12 6:02 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I am scheduled for RNY with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana for 12/13/12.  I haven't told anyone except my husband and our pastor.  My family would NOT be supportive of going to Mexico, or the surgery in general for that matter.  So, I will keep things to myself until after I have lost some weight.  My cover story for Christmas dinner is "gastritis"!  I feel bad not telling them, but this is a decision I have to make for myself and don't want to have to explain it or hear any negativity at this point.  If anyone else is going during the time I will be there, please message me!!!!

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views