thinking about surgery and pre op in mexico

shutterfly
on 10/23/12 2:33 pm - vancouver, Canada
I am thinking about getting the surgery in Mexico as the wait time in Canada is 2-3 years.

What pre op things do they get you to do prior to going to mexico??
valleymom40
on 10/23/12 11:55 pm
Hi, from what I hear.... every Dr. in Mexico is different.  Diets before surgery varies also.  Dr.DeLeon wants you to only have yoguart and water for three days before surgery where Dr. Kelly wants you to have a two week liquid deit before.  I guess if you talk to the helpers that the Dr. have for patients they will be able to tell you.  Good Luck!  Our wait list in Nova Scotia is 10-15 years...that is why I am going to Mexcio asap. 
Missdede
on 10/24/12 12:43 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 I just had surgery 2 weeks ago in Mexico with Dr. Aceves.  My pre-op plan was to follow an Atkins type diet for 10 days prior to surgery.  I think Dr. Aceves bases duration of pre op diet ob your weight and or BMI.  For the record, I feel amazing and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Aceves or travel to Mexico for surgery.  I'm from Edmonton :)
shutterfly
on 10/24/12 6:15 am - vancouver, Canada
What about tests in Canada? did you have to do any pre tests?

Congrats on the test!!!

When I told friends that I'm considering Mexico due to the wait time they think I'm crazy. OR that my kidney is going to go missing in the process.

How's are you feeling? Do you have a pre op plan?
Missdede
on 10/24/12 7:39 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 They did all the pre op testing in Mexico.  Blood work,  chest X-ray and EKG.  This was all done the day before surgery.

We flew edmobton to San Diego  Oct 9th was picked up at airport by hospital driver and was in Mexicali by 2:30 where we were taken directly to hospital.  Had all test done, met doctors, saw room and then driven to hotel for first night.  Picked up at 7:00 am and returned to hospital, I was in surgery by 9:00 and outside walking in the afternoon.  Spent 3 nights (standard) and flew home on the 13th.
Julie L.
on 10/24/12 12:27 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
The wait in Quebec is about 3 years as well,  I wasn't willing to wait so I'm going to Mexico.  My surgery is on Sunday,   I chose to go with Dr Ponce de Leon in Tijuana after looking through about 10 surgeons.   Really after looking through everything I would have been happy with about 6 different surgeons,  there were a lot of good ones.    I had to fill out a health questionaire,  no pre-op testing here in the province.   I am doing a 3 day yogurt diet before the surgery,  so starting that tomorrow!

its-killen-me
on 10/24/12 3:54 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
I used Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon too.  He is in Tijauana, which is visible from San Diego where we landed.  You can read my blog it has more info.  If you also read the Manitoba forum you will see lots of us that went to dr. Ponce de Leon too.  Good luck with your surgery.  I had the Duodenal Switch my pre op was 14 days liquid, yogurt and jello, soups/broths were allowed.  the last 4 days were clear liquids only and I had to have a laxative on the first day of clear liquids.  If you have the sleeve done the diet is only 3 or 4 days of liquids and yogurt.  If you want his patient co-ordinators number send me a PM.  Barb
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
shutterfly
on 10/25/12 7:30 am - vancouver, Canada
Thank you so much every one!

I have brought the idea of mexico to some family members and friends. Let me say that I haven't got a positive response. I'm not sure how you all felt, but now I feel like I'm a lone in this process. I thought I would have been able to ask someone to come along, but it seems like they think it's totally unsafe and all forms of malpractice go on.

Did anyone have this problem? Did anyone not tell their loved ones/friends they were getting this done?

Advice and feeback welcomed!!!!

:)
Julie L.
on 10/25/12 9:30 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

My family was supportive,  they don't think out of country surgeons are a bad thing,  I didn't have to convince anyone. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/12 4:43 am

I have not shared my future Mexico VSG surgery with anyone other than my husband. I know that the reactions will not be positive from my family and friends and I only need positive people around me right now. I'm very thankful to the OH community for the support. It's been tricky to get time off from work and keep it a secret though and I hope they don't want a doctors note to return tI work!...lol. I will probably share my surgery AFTER the surgery and when I've lost some weight. That's my plan for now anyways....always subject to change though!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views