Questions about WLS in Mexico

gloomingloo
on 10/21/12 3:26 am
I've scheduled a WLS in Mexico with a great physician. I have a few questions. Did you guys tell your American insurance companies?  If so, did they raise your rates a lot?

If you didn't, did you tell your physicians here? I assume a physician would notify the health insurance company, or would they?

What do you do if you have complications after leaving Mexico... Did anyone get stuck having to retroactively own up to having had WLS abroad?

And I've read surgeries can be claimed on taxes. Have any of you done so? Does this work even for
mnmommaof2
on 10/21/12 7:07 am
VSG on 11/23/12
Surgery and travel expenses can be claimed on taxes.  Even internationaly.  Post-op care is most easily done with a local doctor which requires you telling them of your surgery.  I'm telling mine on tuesday of my mexico WLS plans.  No need to inform the insurance company-- if you have an exclusion on your policy they won't be paying up anyway.  If you have complications that are life-threatening then off to the ER you go and most likely will be out of your pocket if they are WLS related.  Otherwise contact your surgeon and let them know what's going on.  It's important to find out exactly what your policy will and will not cover so you are preparred and have taken all situations into consideration. 

Good luck!  And congratulatins on setting a date...  :)
Missdede
on 10/22/12 4:29 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 I'm Canadian so I can't answer any of your questions pertaining to insurance or follow up healthcare.  I just wanted to wish you luck on your surgery.  I had mone October 10th with Dr. Aceves
gloomingloo
on 10/23/12 3:32 am
"Surgery and travel expenses can be claimed on taxes.  Even internationaly.  Post-op care is most easily done with a local doctor which requires you telling them of your surgery. "

My BMI is 34, so in the USA, I wouldn't qualify for a gastic sleeve. Can I still claim this on taxes/inform a local doctor? And additionally, if I tell the doctor, won't it get back to my insurance company/cause them to jack up rates or even take away my insurance?

Thanks!

mnmommaof2
on 10/23/12 8:57 am
VSG on 11/23/12

I can't remember what the BMI limits were on gastric surgery for tax deductions--   Look it up on IRS.gov it should answer all your questions.  Search for Medical deductions and you'll find bariatric surgery and the requirements are in there somewhere. 

As far as your insurance going up I can't see how it could.  If your not charging them then why do they care? especially if the surgery you are having will make you healthier and therefore less expensive.  Your doctor will not "report" anything to the insurance company.  The only way the insurance would even find out is if you are billed under the codes for weight loss surgery and since your not doing it there-- no need to bill under that code.  I had my apt with my primary today and it was billed under a general office visit code.  You can always ask what the visit will be billed as. If you are concerned then you should probably call your insurance agent if private insurance or your HR rep at your job.  Niether of those people will "report" you to the insurance company but will be able to accuratly address your concern.  As a reminder-- I'm not a lawyer... this is opinion.   

It's always best to be upfront with your primary doctor.  Even if it's a "hey please don't put this in my chart" kindof conversation.

Hope that helped!

6penningtons
on 11/11/12 11:29 am - MO
DS on 12/12/12

I have scheduled WLS (RNY) with Dr. Lopez in Mexico for 12/13/12.  I haven't told my dr or insurance.  Main reason I didnt' tell my doc was that I don't want to hear her try to talk me out of it.  I also have a 35 BMI, so paying out of pocket, and simply can't afford it in the US.  Curious to hear how yours goes, so please keep me updated!

Danielle

Age: 34; Ht: 5'2; High Wt: 190; Goal Wt: 120; DS by Dr. Lopez 12/12/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views