Dr Ponce de Leon, what happens on the first day of surgery?

Julie L.
on 9/2/12 8:05 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
Could anyone please tell me the experience they had on the first day of their surgery with Dr Ponce de Leon?

I know from a past experience after a c-section operation,  forced dry mouth tends to send me into a panic attack.   From what I understand,  you wake up with a sore-ish throat (from the intubation) and a dry mouth,  and aren't allowed to put anthing in your mouth until the next day.     I see a lot of people mentioning gas pains and walking,  but I never see anyone mentioning/complaining about the dry mouth issues,  so could you let me know how that went with this Dr?   Were you allowed to rinse and spit,  or swab your mouth,  or use anything to alleviate the symptoms?   I can easily see this sending me into a full blown panic attack and while that's something I'd address with them beforehand,  it would help me a lot to be able to visualize everything I'd go through post op on the first day.    I mean honestly,  I am not all that nervous for the actual surgery,  I am really mostly nervous over being told I can't drink water :)

Madelaine2000
on 9/3/12 3:43 pm
I had surgery with Dr. Ponce de Leon in May. I remember having a dry mouth but honestly, your first day can be tough and its not as big of a deal as you might think. I remember wanting ice chips but couldn't and it really wasnt a problem because you sleep off and on. By Day 2 you can have some and it does feel wonderful!!! You will taken care of really well and once you realize that its in your best interest medically, you won't obsess over it. Good luck to you and speedy recovery.

Referred Dec/2011
Acceptance letter Jan 24/12
VSG MAY 22 DR. PONCE DE LEON MEXICO
7.5 months - 70 pounds!!!

its-killen-me
on 9/3/12 4:59 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
I brushed my teeth and rinsed with water.  you might be able to rinse your mouth, I would definately ask.
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Julie L.
on 9/4/12 8:35 pm - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
Thanks,  I think to others it may not be a big deal but it's always strange the things that can send you into a full blown panic attack,  it's not very rational.   I know for instance for my C-section,  I was pretty much awake 3 days straight... my body would not let me fall asleep and chance someone "walking in on me" while I was sleeping,  I have social anxiety and I don't find it easy to go "unconscious" somewhere that someone could sneak up on me (ie,  nurses coming into my room at night).   They're far from rational fears,  but I just know it will happen.   That said,  I'd honestly rather have the surgery and deal with the panic attacks,  even if it means I'd be screaming and panicked  (and believing that I'm literally dying) for a few hours of my life.   I'm just at that point.
pineview01
on 9/26/12 8:53 am - Davison, MI
I was put on paxil for my panic attacks.  I too have a social anxity, don't do with people in my space/touching me.  My Doc wanted me on it for surgery and one year.  Do you take something to help.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Julie L.
on 10/2/12 8:18 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12
I'm not on anything for panic attacks,  I used to have clonazepam to take as needed but that prescription is long gone and I don't have a family doctor at the moment.  I tried Effexor too and I didn't react well to it.    I'm going to have to suck it up and pay out of pocket to get a private doctor anyways (we have provincial health insurance here but no available doctors,  it's a great system,  argh!).   I'll ask if they can give me something in case I flip out or something like that :)    The clonazepam did help me.

Teasha1
on 9/8/12 2:34 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I had my surgery with Dr Ponce de Leon in Jun and yes I woke up with the sore throat and dry mouth.  I gargled and rinsed my mouth out with water quite often that first night/day and it helped alot.

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views