Considering surgery in Mexico

hwbrewer11709
on 8/10/12 5:18 am - Ravenel, SC
RNY on 10/02/12 with
Morning All,

Looking for some input about having RNY in Mexico.....I've done a lot of research but would appreciate some feedback from folks who have "real experiences" and would be willing to chat with me.  I'm considering Tijuana, Guadalajara, and Puerta Vallarta.  Looking at Dr. Garcia and Dr. Joya in Tijuana and Dr. Alejandro Lopez Ortega and Dr. Osuna in Puerta Vallarta or Guadalajara. 
I'm not looking at the sleeve or the band....I know for sure I want and need the RNY.  My sister has had much success with her RNY in SC but I'm having to travel due to insurance exclusions and finances.  I have completed all the required pre-testing, classes, etc in SC, so I know what I'm getting into...I'm not going in blind.
If anyone has some input or advice....I'd appreciate it.

Hugs to each of you,

Heidi
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 6:26 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Hey there!
I had the sleeve but I know someone personally who went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta for RNY and can't say enough wonderful things about the experience! I wish you all of the best!!! All of the pre ops and classes you've taken will help you well with the surgery and making it a success.
LBonnet
on 8/14/12 4:11 pm
 What's the main difference between Dr. Alejandro Lopez and Dr. Joya.  I'm looking to undergo Gastric Bypas in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. 

All the reviews we have are from their own sites. Where are the objective reviews? How do you compare? 
hwbrewer11709
on 8/15/12 4:16 am - Ravenel, SC
RNY on 10/02/12 with
I went to the find a surgeon tab and researched the surgeons I was considering.  I also compared their stats with those stats of the surgeon who completed my sisters rny in SC in April 2012.  I've decided on Dr. Joya and will be heading south Sept 30th.  There are also reviews if you google the name of the surgeon.  There are some really helpful you tube videos as well documenting personal experiences with Dr. Joya in PVR.  I'm 105% confident in my decision and can't wait to get off the sidelines of my life and start truly living again!  Best of luck to you in making your decision!

Hugs,
Heidi
baydoll
on 8/15/12 4:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
Have you considered Dr. Castaneda in Puerto Vallarta? He's quite exceptional. Check out his website at drjoseacastanedacruz.com/

Doreen
DarioM
on 8/20/12 11:37 am
I had my surgery on Wednesday last week with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali and the experience was EXCELLENT! Everything, from the pickup at the hotel and drive to Mexicali, the hotel, the hospital, the doctor's personnel, the operation, and the doctors themselves (Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos, who operate as a team) -- evrything was superb. I was also considering Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras and Dr. Corzo in Cancun, but I finally decided to go with Dr. Aceves because he has several years more experience than Dr. Alvarez and he always does all his operations personally. In the end, I'm convinced I made the right decision. If you want more info on Dr. Aceves contact his coordinator, Nina at [email protected]. I can only speak wonders of Dr. Aceves so if you have more questions feel free to ask. I'm back home now -- I've already lost 12 lbs and I'm feeling great. The experience Good luck!
alberterdmann
on 8/22/12 4:57 pm
VSG on 10/05/11 with
I would recommend to also consider something, the number of procedures a surgeon is making daily. I had a good experience with my surgery, and I'm very happy, but when I stayed on Tijuana, I heard of some complicated patient of WLS.

And it was because of the number of events the surgeon had on the same day.

feliciapierce360
on 8/22/12 5:48 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Heidi,
I'm also about to schedule my surgery in Mexico and have been doing tons of research on different doctors. I found Dr. Arellano thru several recommendations and he is truly a wise choice. I'm a very skeptical person and I was really impressed all around with his experience and impeccable track record. He has successfully performed more than 1200 procedures, more than 15 years of experience. I believe he is one of the best doctors in Mexico that can perform RNY.

Dr. Arellano is in Mexicali. If you have trouble finding him, send me a message.

Best of luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views