For those who've had RNY, I have a Q (or 2)

oconnell
on 7/31/12 8:20 am
VSG on 08/31/12 with
 So I'm wanting to have RNY done in Mexico but have a couple
post-op questions: 

- Medication! I know that having the RNY done I'll be on meds/supplements for life. Will I be able to have meds filled in Mexico or will I just be given an RX (general question, I know every surgeon is different)

- Flight home issues: I know that we're supposed to walkwalkwalk after surgery, but has anyone had any issue with clotting, etc., during the flight home? I'm in Indiana so I'm looking at a 3 or 4hr flight... 
Eggface
on 8/4/12 3:37 am - Sunny Southern, CA
I had Open RNY in Mexico.

Generally you will be on drip pain meds and antibiotics and fluids immediately after. Most surgeons will send you to wherever you are recovering with a prescription or the actual pills (pain medication and antibiotics) though the stuff in Mexico is usually less potent then the stuff in the states (ask your surgeon what he prescribes). I got a prescription for Vicodin from my PCP and then used what they gave me in MX after a day 3 or so. I was off everything by day 5.

Bring a slightly larger top to travel in. Button down the front so it's easier to get on and off, bring a squishy pillow for comfort, you'll want to walk the plane from time to time, move your legs, bring water and sip sip sip.

Best wishes! Hope your medical tourism experience is as great an experience as mine have been (RNY and two rounds of post WLS plastics now)

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?