Dr. Hector Perez Corzo in Cancun

DarioM
on 7/24/12 6:19 am
I'm considering getting Gastric Sleeve with Dr. Hector Perez Corzo at Clinica Victoria in Cancun -- anyone heard anything about him?
minirn20
on 7/25/12 5:13 pm - drumright, OK
Dario,
Please reconsider having surgery in Mexico.  I had gastric bypass in the states about 4 years ago.  I was well medicated and well cared for  during my hospital stay in Texas.  I went with my friend for a gastric sleeve in Mexico last week.  It was a nightmare.  She had surgery at Clinica Victoria with Dr. Perez.  There is an interpreter to speak English during the day, but at night you are on your own with the language barrier.  Luckily for us, my friend spoke Spanish, so when she was able she could speak for herself.  The overall mentality was that pain medication was not needed.  She had some morphine injections, but was truly in pain a majority of the time.  She was told that the pain was "all in her head".  She was sent home from the hospital 2 days after surgery with an open wound covered with tape, and some "pain medication"  which as far we could tell was an anti inflammatory and stool softener.  I had to go buy her baby Tylenol and Motrin at the pharmacy across from the hotel for some kind of pain relief until we got home.  Her wound that was open - leaked.  No supplies were given to her for wound care.  It was a true nightmare.  I am an RN, and I was totally helpless to do anything because of the language barrier.  I have never felt more alone and isolated than the 2 day stay in the hospital.   So please do more research on the Internet,  I have found plenty of other stories out there from other Mexican clinics now that we have returned.  She is having trouble finding someone to follow up with her now that we have returned to the states.  Would never recommend Mexican surgery to anyone.
baydoll
on 7/25/12 10:19 pm - Ottawa, Canada
The previous response does not see typical for Mexico. You will find many who have had wonderful experiences in Mexico. I have always been vocal about my reluctance to go to border towns from Texas or California but again, others point out good experiences. I have never heard from anyone who has gone to Cancun but have been researching that option as I have contacts who are hoping for surgery and Cancun is closer for my area than Puerto Vallarta is. I had surgery in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Castaneda-Cruz and I highly recommend this location and surgeon. I will be watching for more replies regarding Dr. Perez.

Good luck with your journey.
Doreen
Aavenger
on 9/12/13 10:53 am - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17
I too am considering Mexico I am in nl and direct flights to cancun so it's very attractive to me.however I am cautious I would like a full service hospital,any info you could share would help. Thanks
Maithuna
on 7/14/17 3:04 pm - Wainwright, AB

I am currently in contact with a representative for doctor Perez and found this thread after looking him up. He came recommended to me by my husbands therapist- have you come across any further info about him? Thanks a ton!

mommy2ee
on 7/26/12 5:36 am
I just had surgery on the 20TH of this month with Dr. Perez. He did a fine job with the surgery itself but thats the only good thing I. Have to say for the experience. There was NO pain control. I was told the pain was in my head and I should feel fine. The day after surgery! I lost alot of blood because I had a bleed that took them 30 min to find. I understand that happens so that wasn't the problem. The problem was they had no blood at the hospital to give me. They told me to just stay in the bed and don't get up. When I left, Dr. Perez said by the next day I wouldn't even be able to tell I had surgery and if I had pain remember it was just in my head.
DarioM
on 7/26/12 7:12 am
Thanks for your input -- did you get it done at Clinica Victoria? I hope you're feeling better. And I'll make sure to get my own pain meds, just in case!
mommy2ee
on 7/26/12 3:17 pm
Yes I did have it at clinica Victoria. I would suggest Tijuana. I have 10 people from our church there and not one person had a bad comment or complication. However if you really want Dr. Perez, I suggest paying the extra money to have it done at their larger
hospital that has emergency services available in case of complications.
DarioM
on 7/26/12 10:53 pm
Thanks for your comments! Hope all continues well with you.
Jackie00
on 7/29/12 2:32 am
Nothing wrong with the border towns, I went to tijuana and used Dr Kelly. I honestly didn't feel like I had surgery after a couple of days. I didn't need the pain meds once I got to the hotel so whatever they have me in the IV was sufficient in the hospital. Beware of the surgeons that use recovery houses.

A great coordinator if you are looking for one is Trish, she will be there for you lots. She is currently with Dr Ponce de Leon. You can read other reviews on here to get her contact information from the posts.

Never heard of Dr Perez and seeing a post like that coming from a nurse, I would run from whatever coordinator that is promoting this surgeon. I find some praise surgeons that are new just to get the deal, when they never had their surgery done there. But hey, that is how they get their business and paycheques. I honestly think you need to find some more reviews on more popular surgeons. Maybe in a year Dr Perez will have more reviews but until then I would look elsewhere.

I found the same with Dr Ponce, last year I couldnt find any reviews other then from patients that were striking up business for him, now with Trish there his business is booming and lots of great reviews. She is a gem, unfortunately when I went to Dr Kelly I was told she wasn't allowed to book with him which was bull crap, I still got to meet her and still talk with her. More then what I have heard from the coordinators that I dealt with. Dr Kelly had english speaking staff around the clock, he visited every day and spoke perfect english, no need of translators. Also, Dr Kelly himself follows up with you post op after you return home, and you can email him with any questions with a reply within a day.

There are also two top A surgeons in Mexicalli, a few thousand more but from the reviews they are well worth it as well. Aceves and Alvarez I believe their names are.

Take your time and research for reviews, I think I drove tons of coordinators crazy lol with my questions along with patients of these surgeons for reviews.

Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views