Would like to have surgery in Mexico.. not sure who is/isn't a good doc?

oconnell
on 7/22/12 1:38 am
VSG on 08/31/12 with
 So as the subject says, I'm seriously considering doing the Mexico "thang". My insurance doesn't cover ANYTHING bariatric related so after a few days of wallowing in it, I decided to check out my options across the border. But first let me state that I had a lapband taken out in January. I WANTED a revision surgery but my now former surgeon refused (loooong story). My husband as since switched jobs and obviously, insurance carriers, which is why we're stuck paying out of pocket. Because of my previous surgery, I'm not sure which surgery is best for me... RNY or VSG, which is why I'm asking you guys! OH! And one other thing of note- I'm a big leery of the crime issues currently going on in Mexico- I'd like to go somewhere '"safe", lol. 
baydoll
on 7/22/12 10:47 am - Ottawa, Canada
I would think that most doctors are well trained in what they do and you certainly see success stories here. I would avoid border towns......I wouldn't feel safe there and I understand some surgeries are done in clinic like settings with recovery in a "recovery house", whatever that is. Puerto Vallarta is a tourist area and is very safe. My surgery was in a private hospital and my surgeon, Dr. Castaneda Cruz is exceptional.

Doreen
Teasha1
on 7/22/12 1:00 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I had Dr Ponce De Leon in TJ Mexico and he is awesome, his coordinator Trish and his whole crew are wonderful.  They look after you right from the San Diego airport; you never go any where without someone driving you around whether it is to the hospital (the INT Hospital) or sight seeing.  Could not recommend them more highly. 

I paid $5500 and had the VSG, two nights in the hospital and one night in a hotel across from the hospital.  Then back home to Manitoba Canada.  There are several people from here that have used Dr Ponce for VSG and DS and everyone is totally satisfied.

Lorna

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Sandy S.
on 7/23/12 3:40 pm - Skokie, IL
 I had a sleeve done with Dr. Ponce on July 10, 2012 with Trish as my coordinator.  She is amazing, she goes above and beyond.  With no doubts, I would go with Dr. Ponce.  What I didn't know is he is a teacher of the WLS procedures and the hospital and staff are awesome.mine hotel is charming, and Trish took me site seeing two days, which she didn't have to do.  Here's her contact info...tell her Senada sent you so she knows you are serious.  I am referring all of my friends to her and I felt 100 percent safe in Tijuana...I mention this as safety was a concern of mine.  They pick you up and drop you off at the San Diego airport.  The sleeve cost me $5,500 plus 3% ($5,660 or so) because I used my Visa to pay.  This includes two nights in the hotel, but airfare is extra and you arrange that on your own.  

Good luck!!!

Senada 

Trish M.

Patient coordinator.
Phone:619 207-4114
Cell: (661)886-4617
www.wls4betterlife.com
Facebook 
KristaB
on 7/24/12 1:57 am - St Catherines, Canada
 I also had my surgery with Dr. Ponce, and had Trish as a coordinator.  I cannot say enough good things about either of them, and the staff at the hospital.  I felt very safe while in Tijuana (Trish took us to the beach for the afternoon) and had a wonderful time!  I'd do it again in a heartbeat 
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/12 4:42 pm
VSG on 08/25/12
 Dr. Aceves! hes the BEST!! Do your research, you will see! good luck!
rainyone
on 8/5/12 3:46 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I had Dr Ponce and would totally reccomend him. Trish is the way to go if you book Dr Ponce.

Other doctors I would consider are Dr ALverez ( not to be confused with Dr Almanza who I wouldn't reccomend) Dr Aceves.or Dr Joya or Dr Ungson if you are going with the DS.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Rosarita
on 8/5/12 11:34 am
 I am looking at having a band over bypass revision.  In researching Dr. Ponce, it looks like Trish is no longer his coordinator.  It is someone named Maria.  Does anyone have experience with Dr. Ponce and a BoB procedure?  Thank you!!
rainyone
on 8/5/12 12:00 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

Dr ponce works with mutliple co ordinators. I know he still works with Trish... send her an email or fb message... http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/TrishyLupz or www.wlsforbetterlife.com

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Rosarita
on 8/5/12 2:42 pm
 thank you.  :-)
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?