Question about Dr. Aceves pre-op diet

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/12 3:58 pm
VSG on 08/25/12
So i have gained 10lbs in the past 2 weeks because i know im getting this surgery Aug 25th and now my BMI is 45

Im really tall so you cant really tell but im so upset im indugling on the fact im getting surgery and eating whatever I want which is not teaching me good eating habits!!!! im so upset!

So Dr. Aceves' pre-op diet says to follow 1 week before surgery but most other doctors say 2 weeks, since my BMI has gone up should I just do the high protien low card diet for 2 weeks instead of 1?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
lala285
on 7/21/12 8:04 am - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
 I've kind of done the same thing. For me it's more that I want to eat all of my favorite meals before I start the pre-op diet, which doesn't exactly aid in any weight loss. I had my final Tex-Mex meal on Friday and my mom's making my favorite beef noodle dish this weekend, I had my favorite sandwich at a local bagel shop today for lunch, etc. It's a lot of "so long, won't see you maybe ever again, or at least not for a long time, and even then I'll only get a very small portion of you" meals. You get the picture. 

As I haven't had the surgery yet, I bet a lot of the post-op people can speak to your question better, but my advice is to just follow the one week pre-op diet that Dr. Aceves suggests. I've read on a lot of posts that some people had pre-op diets as long as a month (Eek!) and others only had to eat really light a day or two prior to surgery, and other people had no special pre-op diet at all (which I think sounds odd, but who am I to say?). Also, some people's pre-op diet is liquid only, and others like Dr. Aceves' pre-op diet are just really low carb. In any case, the pre-op diet is more for shrinking the liver than weight loss. Having a less fatty liver makes the laproscopic surgery less prone to problems. So, if you're more likely to stick to the pre-op diet for one week, rather than trying to white-knuckle it (and likely cheat) through two weeks, it's better to just do the suggested 7 day pre-op diet.

That's just my two cents. Hope it helps you!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views