Anyone have personal safety concerns while in Mexico?

Joyv
on 6/22/12 8:01 am - River hills, WI
 it doesnt seem super safe there now

rainyone
on 6/22/12 8:11 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I went with Dr Ponce with Trish as my co ordinator and felt totally safe there.  She came out with us pretty much anytime we wanted. I would wander out to the convience store by the hospital and the starbucks there as well, felt totally safe.  Trish took us for a drive to some of the seedy- ish areas cause we were interested , along with the more ritzy areas. I think if you don't wander off the beaten path you are fine.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

PhoenixRise
on 6/24/12 2:12 pm - San Diego, CA
 I know what you hear on the news but a lot of that stuff is over hyped up media. I been to Mexico many times, and I mean many times. I live in San Diego, for many people here it is like a second home. What the news doesn't tell you it MANY AMERICAN'S live in Tijuana and work in San Diego. They pay half the cost to live there and commute to work Mon-Fri. It is not as bad as you may think. Just remember your only going for a surgery. All you really will be doing is driving to the clinic and staying in a hotel. You won't be seeing anything. Mexico is not crazy they know they make a lot of money from American's they wouldn't ruin that. Mostly people they retalitate against are law enforcment or other drug affiliated people. So I wouldn't worry we are one of many they see all the time.

thin_soon
on 7/10/12 8:23 pm
I live in San Diego also and tj did get a little ruff a couple of years ago.   All do to drug cartels.  Most of the violence involved was between drug dealers. Tourism dropped drasticly but things have settled down and people are traveling once again back and forth. It is like any other place you visit if you look for trouble you can find it if you don't look you will be fine.  I am having surgery on July 23 with Dr. Ponce.  I have been to TJ 5 times in the last 3 months having dental work done and I have had no problems.     Good Luck
ND2BTHN
on 6/27/12 12:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Have you ever heard of anyone ever getting killed, mugged or attacked who was visiting for medical tourism reasons? You are supervised with a local who drives people back and forth everyday. Tourism is Mexico's livelyhood. They will do anything to keep you as safe and happy as possible. The only time you are alone there, is when you are in your hotel/hospital room. You are in no more danger under these cir****tances than you are in your own neighbourhood. I went alone, and never felt unsafe at any point. My surgeons hospital was literally 10 mins over the boarder. Other than the usual pan handlers/beggers along the boarder fence, which are in my neighbourhood too, there was nothing out of the ordinary. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Joyv
on 6/27/12 12:18 pm - River hills, WI
 thanks so much for the input... i have friends and family voicing concern so I want to be able to answer them intelligently.  My schedule is booked for July 11th.. i'm in preop now ;)

Amibennett
on 7/1/12 1:14 pm - Washougal, WA
VSG on 06/28/12
Just got home from Mexicali today. I felt very safe and had zero issues.
Sandy S.
on 7/5/12 4:12 am - Skokie, IL
 I was just contacted by Trish yesterday (impressed by how quickly they contacted me) and will be doing the surgery with Dr. Ponce de Leon.  I literally and filling out paperwork, but am in Afghanistan and leaving for home (Chicago) tonight - thank God- so am interested in what the preop involves?  It was hard to hear Trish on the phone.  I want to do this ASAP. I've been researching for years but my insurance would never cover it so as self pay, I could not afford it.   I had just decided to do it, regardless of the cost, when I somehow stumbled upon this forum.  It's amazing how low the price is.  Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sandy S.
on 7/5/12 4:21 am - Skokie, IL
 I mention Afghanistan because being here, and on my way out, I can't print out the forms or get them back to Trish for a few days at least, when I get back stateside.   So very curious as to how long it takes, from start to finish, to get to the day I'd surgery. Thanks!!!! 
kc4desert
on 7/15/12 11:46 am
 I went to Pedre's Niegros to Dr. Alvarez.  It was safe.. easy and well organized.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views