Help !!! Dr Joya,Dr Alvarez,Dr Aceves

casey02190
on 4/3/12 7:15 am - AL
VSG on 06/02/12
      Hello Everyone,

I am having some trouble deciding on which surgeon to use I have found nothing but great things on all three which Dr Joya's location is a big plus but I dont wanna base it on just that anyways I wanna hear from all threes patients and what made you chooose your surgeon over the other I really love Dr Alvarez but I dont like that he doesnt use a drain and he only does 2 leak test plus he uses Barium Swallow but I do feel confident that he is a great surgeon ....Dr Joya and Aceves both do 3 leak test and use the drain so tell me how effective it was for you anyways thanks !!!!!!
DRMOMRN
on 4/4/12 12:21 pm - OH
Besides the location of Dr. Joya, I chose him because of the fact that he is more cautious, in my opinion. He doesn't do the leak test until two days post op, and you don't go home for two days. This way you get IV liquids while waiting. He decides about the drain depending on your surgery. I did not require a drain, but he would have placed one if I needed it. I only had one leak test. I think that they do more only if they don't get a good test the first time. The other thing is the location he does the surgery. It is a fully equiped hospital, where an intensive care unit was available. From what I have read, you will be in good hands with any of these surgeons.
Bonnie M
on 4/9/12 3:06 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I had my revision surgery with Dr Joya on March 14.  I had a swallow test before surgery and a leak test 2 days after surgery.  My pouch wasn't altered.  I got a new stoma and more mal absorbtion. 
The location, follow-up and safety was great.  I went alone.
Cheryl K.
on 4/13/12 2:28 pm - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
 I had my revision surgery with Dr. Joya on March 30th. His team is amazing and were very knowledgable.  Due to having to have my lap-band removed my surgery took much longer than expected, a total of 6 1/2 hours.  That in its self was very scary.  He did an amazing job with no after complications.  My only advise to you is make sure you pay the $500.00 complication fund.  I had a little run in with the hospital because of the extra OR time.  I am two weeks out today and have lost 12 lbs.  oh I did have the drain port, but he said that prior to me they had not used one in 3 months.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Cheryl

ND2BTHN
on 4/17/12 10:57 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I chose Dr. Aceves, because he is not only the president of the Mexican Bariatric society, but he works out of a state of the art private surgical specializing hospital. He has many years of experience, uses the drain, 3 leak tests, 3 full days in hospital, not a hotel. His surgical partner, Dr. Campos who works along side him, as well as his driver trusted him with their surgeries too. That spoke volumes to me. I was so comfortable with my choice, that I wasn't even afraid to fly from Canada and go through major surgery by myself. I am very happy with my decision and would recommend him to everyone.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
casey02190
on 4/17/12 4:49 pm - AL
VSG on 06/02/12
 Thanks Everyone   @ ND2BTHN that is actually who I decided to go with and im so anxious cause now im doing the waiting game lol scheduled for june 2nd VSG !!!! Any advice ?
ND2BTHN
on 4/17/12 8:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
Congratulations! You will not be disappointed in your decision. If you are going alone like I did, then I suggest packing very light, and using a 4 wheeled carry on bag. Much easier and less pull on new stitches. Also make sure you have some form of entertainment, for the plane ride, and in hospital. A camera is a good thing too. Bring some extra cash for your medication, and for tipping the hotel staff, restaurant staff and for the Ernesto the driver. The nexium costs about $20 a box. Everyone except the night staff speak fluent English, so communication isn't a problem. If you forget your translation sheet, they give you another one anyway. You can bring some gasx with you. Dr.Campos actually told me to not take too much, but he was fine with me having it. Many people mention chapstick, but I didn't need any. Remember to pack  a snack or protein bar in your carryone/purse. I left mine in the car during our testing process and had to wait even longer before I could eat something once everyones testing was completed. Don't purchase a meal plan on the plane either, since  you have to be fasting 5 hours before you testing. So factor in your plane ride time, and the 2 hour drive time, and go from there. You won't eat again until around 9pm. Good luck!

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
roper
on 12/19/13 8:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hello Casey,

How it went with dr aceves?. I'm having mine in 2 weeks and so worried. Please let me know how u feel now also?.

Thanks!

Merry Christmas :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views