Dr. Joya Mexico (long)

DRMOMRN
on 3/20/12 8:22 am - OH

I wanted to post about my experience in Mexico with Dr. Joya. I should preceed this with the fact tha I am
a former nurse, and am currently a doctor practicing Hospice/palliative care. I say this because I have a
different perspective because of my medical training. I am sure my malepractice insurance would like me to add that I am not referring or reccommending surgery, or Dr. Joya. It was a positive experience, and I thought that people could benefit from my experience.

For starters, dealing with Gerald (DrJoya.com) was great. He is quick to get back with you and coordinates things well. I chose Dr. Joya because of his expertise, more days of follow up post op, and location (not in an area that there have been travel concerns). I know that some people have voiced concerns about Dr. Joya's complication fund. My take on it was this. Surgeons know their personal complication rates. I am sure that Dr. Joya is aware of fears on the part of the patient of financial issues should a complication occur. Choose it, or not; but don't be afraid that it means he has a high complication rate. It probably means the opposite.

The Krystal is the hotel that you will be staying at. It is older, but well kept up overall. Check in and check out can be slow though. There is a supermarket about a block from the hotel- turn left when you leave the hotel. You can stock up on water, and buy a cooler there. Getting ice in the hotel was a bit of a challenge. Only one or two ice machines were working on any given day. If the one by you isn't turned on; try a different floor.  The Krytal encourages it's all inclusive option, which you (and your guest) will not be in. My Husband ate there twice and the prices were high and food was not as good as he got from some local places. There is a quieter pool by the sushi bar which was great. That might not be an issue for you. We were there during spring break. One caution: you will see broth on the menu. Someone else posted about disgusting fishy broth. I read that broth in Mexico is actually a recipe that they have that consists of chicken broth and fish. You will check out of the hotel for the two days that you are in the hospital. Bring a smaller bag to take with you to the hospital, and check your big luggage with the bell hop.

The Hospital- Is a facility that is run to American standards, but I think they out did most hospitals that
I have seen here in the states. It is immaculate, and the staff are all great. The nurses are compassionate, and  professional. When you turn on your light, they are there in less than a minute!
They are also quick with any meds that you might need, such as for pain, or nausea. ALL of Dr. Joya's
staff were great. I had no language issues with anyone, even though my Spanish is limited. My room had two areas. The room where my bed was had a sofa and a lounge chair. There was another area of the room down the hall with the bathroom in between. That room had another sofa, a refrigerator, and a desk area. The internet at the hospital was much better than at the hotel.

It was a positive experienc over all. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Vanessa

Auburnmist
on 3/29/12 7:38 am - TX
Thanks for writing this.  I am considering Dr. Joya for revision surgery from lapband to ryn.  I had major complications with my lapband last year.  The catheter to my band somehow wrapped around my small intestines causing necrotic bowel and required an emergency small bowel resection (only a few inches).  It took 9 months to diagnose and it's now a year post-op, I have gained back the 70 lbs I had lost on with the lapband.  I have been filled back to what I was before the unfill, but they have made comments that my band is not in the position that others are.  I have absolutely NO restriction.  Even at near max fill for my band. 

I was self-pay in the states for the band and will be self-pay again for revision surgery should I go this route.  It scares me that I am considering Mexico but reading about people's experiences is very helpful.

Thanks again for your post!
Melissa
Bonnie M
on 4/9/12 3:20 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I was a revision from an RNY to RNY with more mal-absorbtion (proximal to distal).  Scar tissue was removed around my old stoma and Dr Joya gave me a new stoma.  Surgery went fine.
I'm 3.5 weeks out, but have only lost 10 lbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views