Dr. Kelly's patients..how much can you eat??

soulsister
on 3/8/12 3:12 am - NY
Just curious how much food you can eat.  I am 4 mos out and can eat 3-4oz of food.  I find that is more than most can eat.

A friend just had surgery here in the states.  She is a month out and can only eat 2 tbsp of mushies at a time.  I could eat  1/2cup of yogurt at that time or cottage cheese.  She also had a MUCH larger bougie- 46!

So I am just curious if you were like my friend at first or if I'm just different.  I also can tolerate any foods.  This worries me because I want to be successful.  I hope my sleeve didn't stretch!!  But I never really felt like my stomach was super small to begin with!
cissiesue
on 3/8/12 2:20 pm - NV
I would be interested to know as well. I'm going to be sleeved by him in June. I do know that some foods are easier to get in. also, each person is different so it Woolf be nice to see what other Dr Kelly patients say. Honestly though, I don't get very many answers from people on this forum, vertical Steve talk seems alot more user friendly
rainyone
on 3/9/12 3:14 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I've heard it really doesnt matter what bougie size they use since it it just a guide and it more depends on how tight he sutures it closed around the bougie. I wonder how much swelling at the beginning also makes a difference in what you can consume .
kg34
on 3/10/12 12:32 am - AL
Dr Kelly did my surgery in December.  I was a lightweight; BMI 32.  I never had any problems swallowing or following the guidelines for food progression.  I weigh or measure everything and only eat that.  I was hungry twice (several months ago); I ate all day and couldn't stop being hungry...then I remembered about the stomach acid people talk about.  The next time it happened I took a TUMS and never thought about it again.  I can eat about 2 - 2.5 oz dense protein; 1/3 cup chicken/tuna salad; 4oz yogurt (or other soft consistency food).  I usually track on MFP to determine an appropriate amount for meals.  I can drink as fast or as much as I want (not around meal times).
Dr Kelly said he uses a 36 Fr bougie.  I've eaten bread twice but it didn't satisfy me.  I have not yet had pasta.  I think everyone is different in that the stomach diameter can be exactly the same, but the length will be different in everyone so the capacity will be different.  If you are concerned about the quantity of food, drop it down .5 oz, or a few tablespoons (if measuring) and see if that satisfies you.  Good luck on your journey.

HW 243  5'5"       Pre-op - 207,  Surgery Weight 197 - 12/19/11
kjenk
on 3/12/12 4:09 am
VSG on 02/20/12

I was sleeved by Dr. Kelly 3 weeks ago and I have able to eat 4 to 5 oz food already. I can also tolerate more than liquids. In fact, I have moved on to solids, which scares me because I dont want to fail at loosing the weight. I have eaten bread as well included 1/2 of a burrito. I feel like I am falling back into my old patterns. HELP!!

HW 287 SW 266 CW 236

Debly
on 4/1/12 11:23 pm
kJenk, I know this is a late reply (and I haven't been sleeved yet but I'm studying a LOT)  but hopefully you'll get it and give us some follow up...  at your stage it isn't about what you CAN eat, it's about what you SHOULD eat.  Your stomach USED to hold at least 60 oz.  Now it holds 3-4 oz.  That is a blessing!  Your job now is to fill it ONLY with protein and produce.   Once you start eating things like bread and sugar, then your cravings for those things will settle back in.  I think of them as "evil" foods.  Why don't you try going back to more liquids and protein shakes for a few days to get back on track, then start back with your dense proteins first.  If you can hold 4 oz, then 3 oz of lean chicken breast to start, followed by a healthy vegetable.  Also take your acid reducers.

Remember this is not a cure or a magic answer, but a tool.  It is your job to then work the took and make it happen.  You will never eat 4 pieces of pizza in one sitting again - think about how you can make that work for YOU instead of seeing what naughty foods you can "tolerate".

I, for one, will be absolutely thrilled if I have it as easy as you but can only hold 4 oz of food.  I will fill that baby stomach with all sorts of healthy stuff!  But 3 weeks out - you are still healing some - so give yourself more time.

Good luck and please post again, many of us are following you post-sleevers with our breaths held.  :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views