Medical tourism?

Debly
on 3/1/12 12:45 pm
I am new to this, looking to find a doctor in Mexico because I cannot be covered by my insurance.  I am scared and worried about follow up care and post-op complications, and want to find a good, reputable doctor in Mexico if possible.   I am reading about medical tourism and I don't understand what that is.  Can someone explain how it works?
ND2BTHN
on 3/2/12 6:04 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I didn't go through Medical tourism, but they are a 3rd party company who sets you up with a surgeon of your choice, or by their recommendation. They can also be biased and looking for a commission of your transaction. I personally don't see the need for them. You are best to do your own research on each surgeon listed and visit the board of your surgery choice to find out from others as to who the top, most trusted surgeons in Mexico are, and contact them all yourself. There is only a handful of them, so research is very important. Please don't be swayed just by the price. You are right to be concerned about your follow up care. It is important to communicate with your own pcp your intentions and to arrange for adequate care ahead of time. The good surgeons are available and willing to work with your doctor if any issues should arise. Look for a hospital, not a clinic. This is very important. Some places have you stay in hotel the first day, and then the hospital throughout the rest of your stay, and some have you go to a recovery house or hotel after surgery for a few days before leaving. These are factors you need to decide which is important to you when deciding on your surgeon. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
baydoll
on 3/18/12 9:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
I used medical tourism and it was great but now you can make arrangements directly with my surgeon. Check out his website at http://www.drjoseacastanedacruz.com/
fattyfattyboomstix
on 6/21/12 5:18 pm
 What surgery are you seeking to have? For weight loss surgery, the only one most people recommend is Dr Ungson in Mexico.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views